AMT Automag vs. S&W 422, which to buy?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Jbobin
    (12/10/02 6:14:07 pm)
    Reply AMT Automag vs. S&W 422, which to buy?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was looking at 2 .22lr pistols: an AMT Automag and a Smith and Wesson 422. The AMT is $215 and the Smith is $175.

I like the profile of the Automag with the vent rib and the barrel, but I am afraid of not finding parts etc for this gun.

Any ideas?

He also has a used Buckmarl with a nice Aimpoint on it for $295....

Jbobin

K75RT
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/10/02 6:28:56 pm)
    Reply Re: AMT Automag vs. S&W 422, which to buy?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The AMT may have a decent profile; if you are talking about the AutomagII in .22WMRF these pistols have possibly the worst trigger put on a firearm. The ones I've seen had heavy pulls and were very inconsistent. I'd opt for the S&W 422, its a proven product you can get parts for it if need be.

If you believe it is reprehensible to possess the will and means to repel a criminal assault...how can you rightfully ask another to risk his life to protect yours?

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/10/02 6:31:15 pm)
    Reply Re: AMT Automag vs. S&W 422, which to buy?
    Hello Jbobin, and welcome to The Firearms Forum.

Are you looking for a plinker or something more for target shooting?

Check back with us, I'm sure other's will add their 2cents worth too

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

Jbobin
    (12/11/02 10:36:19 am)
    Reply Re: the automag vs 422
    I am looking for a plinker for my wife. She likes my Dad's High Standard Duramatic. Of course this is after I just purchased a Colt SA Ne Frontier 22LR for her. Money is a little tight, so these two lloked good. However, I think the Automag is probably a .22WMR, not a 22LR. I have yet to see one on 22lr so far.

I am now leaning towards the Buckmark with the scope (which I could remove) or I may just get the 422 and call it good....

Jk