AMT Backup 22lr Question

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Whiskey, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Whiskey

Whiskey New Member

Anyone have any experiences with them?...good, bad, or eh...or stay away. I am thinking of picking one up - used - is there anything I need to know about them? How are these little pistols overall? Whats a decent price? I like the fact that its stainless steel and its a 22lr. Is there a better 22lr pistol in stainless steel that size? I do not need this pistol for self defense or backup, have my others in a larger caliber. Just looks like something different to have. I know AMT is out of business. Dont know what else to ask.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Whiskey , i'm not a fan of them for piddling reason's really , dont like no sights , doubla action only .. no slide lock back .. but otherwise a functional weapon ( would look at .22WMR myself for a protector but you said what you said so ) oh and picky on ammo ... in the .22 ( forgot ...)

if you like it thats for you , my only suggestion for a back up is practise practise practise

i got issued some junk over the years , bought some too, but got em all to the point where i could do the job with em all if needed or i traded em fast ..

thats what you gotta do

no matter what you got , if your the last man standing when SHTF , thats all that matters and practise is the only help in that area, knowing your weapon tuning it to where its where you want it and can hit what you aim at every time ..
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Whiskey, I have no personal experience with the .22lr Backup so keep that in mind. A good friend had one of the .380 acp Backups and while it was a neat looking little pistol it had an atrociously heavy trigger pull. He soon parted with it. But hey we buy a lot of guns just because we like them for some reason. I would venture a guess that a nice one would sell in the $200 range. I think there are better choices in small .22lr semi autos out there but heck I bought a Glock once so what do I know. :D
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i bought a EAA Witness in .40 S&W with a .22 kit man am i impressed with the kit !!

not small but .. :D
    1000+ rounds easy in a few months , a few FTF's but not one FTE, no feed drama's ( which the AMT i had did with a few brands )

hat little wather plastic one the P22 , thats surprised me though eh , decent, reliable and chew's up anything decent , been a great training pistol for the club juniors and ladies too ..

Todd i bought one too eh , errrrrrr its was ok , i'll not buy another though , the feel .. wrong ..
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

JLA must be out hunting or he would be here shouting the merits of the Bersa Thunderer .22lr. I think Guns America has them for $275 new. Worth checking out Wiskey
  6. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Are you talking about the .22 Magnum? I never had an issue with mine and carried it for years for SD.
  7. Whiskey

Whiskey New Member

Na this is not the 22 Magnum, if it was I would have picked it up. This a seldom purchased model from AMT so there is not many of them out there. I'm going to pass on it. I really don't need it just figured seeing that there are not many out there might as well pick one up just to have. Thanks for all the help!
  8. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Wise choice.

The AMT Backup in .22 cal is hit and miss. Some work well and others take work to get them reliable. Some of the problems, as with any semi auto, is mag related but there are better .22 autos out there.
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I agree, good pass. They are a PITA on a good day.
  10. jyantkilr

jyantkilr Former Guest

I have owned one since new and it has been fun to shoot. I never had too much problem with jams or miss fires, some, but I always shot cci LR mini mags. I have shot close to 1500 rounds out of it. Half Az cleans, never broken the gun down. After about 800 rds. it started to shoot any ammo with few jams.

Takes a while to get decent at targets, but I would not hesitate to use it in any situation short range. Its a point and shoot, no aiming.

Did I say I love this gun? Well I do, and the rarity/hate makes me love it even more !

I wear it in the small of my back and can draw it fairly quickly. Hardly notice its even there.

It has never been worked on. I think I paid $169 new...what a gun !
  11. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

Does anyone know who bought out AMT and if who ever it was is still makeing 1911 Hardballs??

Thanks guys
  12. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

The Wikipedia (yeah, I know) article about AMT (Arcadia Machine & Tool) states "Some of the company's products are now sold by High Standard Manufacturing Company.[2]"...but the footnote refers to High Standards AMT AutoMag pistols. I did not know there was such a thing. HTH!
  13. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

14. Patrick1955

Patrick1955 New Member

I have a wonderful little AMT 22. Single-Action Backup. Does any-one know where I might get spare magazines?:)
  15. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Hoosier Gun Works apparently has a couple (without the finger extension) at $35 apiece (plus shipping probably):

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/magazine_pistol.html

They were the only place I looked, so maybe they're not too hard to find. I'd try Ebay too, if I were you - a wide variety of pistol magazines get sold there.