AMT Lightening/Ruger MKII

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

monstertigger
    (5/11/01 11:34:19 am)
    Reply AMT Lightening/Ruger MKII
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have an AMT Lightening, it was dicontinued years ago because ruger sued amt to stop making it. Well it was pretty much an exact copy of the MKII, but I love it.
    I would like information on accurizing it. I hear about fire lapping and such...not sure how to do that. It's the stainless 6" model. It's very fussy on the type of ammo used. If I shoot cheap hollow points bang, clear a jam, bang, clear a jam. but if I shoot Rem target...perfect.
    Any hints about polishing things or parts I can change to increase accuracy and reliablility are greaty appreciated.

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (5/11/01 2:05:05 pm)
    Reply Re: AMT Lightening/Ruger MKII
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    First monstertigger...WELCOME!! I would need to know how old or long you have had this pistol, and if it has seen a great amount of service or not. Only then can I give you some decent advise. Does this one sport the ribbed barrel? What is the barrel(heavy or standard) and what type of sights? LTS

Edited by: LIKTOSHOOT at: 5/11/01 3:07:28 pm

Kdubya
    (5/11/01 2:26:57 pm)
    Welcome, Monstertrigger -

It could be your handgun doesn't like the hi-velocity ammo, causing it to cycle too fast and jamming prior to fired casing clearing the gun. The Remington Target ammo is loaded down to standard velocity (about 1000 fps) as compared to the higher velocity (1250 fps). If the particular gun shoots well with the standard velocity stuff, that's what I'd feed it. Will be much more accurate than the hi-vel ammo, anyway.
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

Xracer
    (5/11/01 4:07:06 pm)
    Hi Monstertrigger....pull up an old ammo box and sit by the fire.

I've got an old Ruger Standard (RST4) that's kind of picky on ammo also. It'll shoot anything, but dents the brass on some hi-velocity ammo.

Could be that the design just prefers standard velocity stuff.

Rons Toys
    (5/12/01 4:39:17 am)
    A lot of the 22 semi's don't like the hi-v stuff. I use to use the Rem Yellow Jacket to hunt but then found that the slide stop was getting hammered and I would miss a lot.

just my 0.02 Ron

AntiqueDr
    (5/12/01 7:16:25 am)
    Just to add my feeble experiences, I have found that the AMT products are hugely dependant upon proper cleaning and lubrication.

Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few
    www.apaxenterprises.com

monstertigger
    (5/14/01 12:35:26 pm)
    I hav had the gun for about 5 years, got it 100 bucks because the fellow couldn't keep it from jamming, the guy he got it from was frustratied also and traded him for something else. Im not sure the exact age of the gun. I dont think it has seen alot of use, because of the fussy nature, also it just doesn't look like there is much wear anywhere. Its a stainless model with the standard 6" barrel, The sights are fully adjustable, I dont know the make. The gun is quite accurate and a pleasure to shoot as long as I stick to rem target, otherwise...jam, jam, jam...
    I dont mind buying the rem target, it's not that much more than the average ammo. But I would like to see if I can tune the gun to get the most accuracy out of it.
    Since I got it ive run maybe 2000 rds maybe a little more.
    Im thinking i would like to use it in bullseye competition with a 22 and a 45. but i'll go slow as I can afford it.

Kdubya
    (5/14/01 5:50:56 pm)
    Triggermonster -

As the gun evidently likes standard velocity ammo, shop around and try some of Winchester's target ammo, CCI, Tenex, Federal, etc. Some guns just print certain brands of ammo better than others. It's not that expensive shooting .22's to try a box of each, even the expensive Tenex and Laupa to find what fodder your handgun wants.
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

monstertigger
    (5/31/01 9:58:00 am)
    Now that we have the ammo figured out, this gun is Identical to the ruger mark II.
    What can I do to the trigger to make it better?

Mesen
    (6/2/01 9:20:22 am)
    Monstertigger
    Is it an AMT or a Ruger conversion? Went digging through some old stuff and came up with an AMT ad if it's a Lightning/AMT the ad says:
    4 barrel length options 6 1/2, 8 1/2, 10 1/2, 12 1/2,
    Clarke trigger w/adjustable stops
    standard sights w/windage adjustments
    grooved for scope mount
    squared off trigger guard for two hand holding
    interchangalbe barrels 5"-12 1/2"
    stainless steel
    button rifled
    diamond finished barrels
    custom match barrels out of the box
    custom wrap around grips
    also there were bull barrels available and adjustable (Micro) sights available at extra cost for what its worth it also states LIFETIME WARRANTY
    just a guess but is the chamber polished? if not it couldn't hurt
    Fredneck
    IF YOU VALUE YOUR FREEDOM, THANK A VET!

AntiqueDr
    (6/2/01 6:52:39 pm)
    Actually the trigger/sear can be polished using the same sear block as you would for the Ruger. Would make a big difference.

Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few
    www.apaxenterprises.com
  2. NEEDSTUFF

NEEDSTUFF New Member

DEAR SIR I OWN ONE WITH THE 6/78THS BBL BOUGHT IT NEW AND IT SHOOTS ANYTHING IV EVER FED IT.IT EVEN SHOOTS REM SUB SONIC.NEVER JAMS.MABEY START WITH SOME SPRING REPLACEMENTS.I THINK RUGER INTERCHANGES AND THE SPRINGS ARE CHEAP WAY TO START.GOOD LUCK ,NEW MEMBER 'NEEDSTUFF' ALSO IF YOU KNOW ANYONE THAT CAN HELP ME WITH MY POST ABOUT THE SIG-AMT REC +RIFLE KIT I WOULD BE GRATEFUL:)