an ammunition question?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Zane71464, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I have this package of 30-30 shells that I'm sure is old (not sure I should be posting this here) but it is a pack of 10, 30-30 rounds. I have the picture of them and wondering if anyone can enlighten me as to when they were made and are they truely S&W? On the back of the pack it reads as follows:
    THESE POWERFUL CARTRIDGES HAVE BEEN LOADED TO S&W AMMUNITION
    COMPANYS RIGID SPECIFICATIONS. THE COMPUTER DESIGNED BULLET, NON
    CORROSIVE PRIMER AND SPECIAL SMOKELESS POWDER PROVIDES CONSISTANT
    ACCURACY, DEPENDABILITY, AND MAXIMUM EFFECTIVENESS.
    30-30 MADE IN CANADA

I'm a bit confussed here, are they indeed made by S&W...and when were they made? Worth anything other then target practice?:confused:

Attached Files:

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Smith sold their-branded ammo back in the 70s. They bought Alcan, and made ammo from '73 to '81.

Originally they made ammo under both names - S&W and Alcan - and apparently they owned Fiocchi (the Italian company) for a while. Some of their stuff was headstamped S&W-F, and the boxes were marked "Smith & Wesson - Fiocchi Inc. Alton Ill."
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Load em up, and go deer hunting!
  4. Zane71464

Ahh okay. That's interesting...learnin something new every day. Me and my cousin were heck on the game population back when we were kids plinkin and we had a 30-30 we shot all the time and I dug up these shells the other day and thinking back, a neighbor man out the road was always giving us shells to shoot (he had a problem with wild dogs running and killing his goats), so I knew they was somewhat older back then when he gave them to us. Just couldnt put a finger on the time period.
  5. Zane71464

I wish it was legal here to use a rifle of sorts to hunt deer with, but unfortianatly I have to travel out of state for that. However the coyotes are good shooting here, just use a longer range gun.