An Army / Navy Perspective

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Misterstan
    (6/1/01 8:35:58 am)
    | Del All An Army / Navy Perspective
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I received this as email from a member of the Mobile Riverine Force Association where the Army's 9th Infantry Division worked with the Brown Water Navy.

Stan Lambert
    St. Clair Shores, Michigan

-----------------------------------------

Funny how somebody else's memory triggers one of your own. The comment about Navy food struck a chord. It was one of the best things about a battalion taking its turn on the boats. We Army guys were undeniably jealous of the Navy in the chow department, not to mention the clean sheets and air conditioning on the troop ships.

But I'll always remember the Navy guy I got to talking to at the rail of the ship they put us on to keep us out of harm's way just before we went home. I think it was the Benewah, but I might be wrong. It was in June of '69, when they made up a battalion out of short-timers and sent us home as Nixon's example of "winding down" America's involvement in the war.

We were both hanging out, waiting for the orders to go, and the Navy guy looked longingly at the bank and said, "Beautiful country, isn't it. Sure wish I could get to see some of it."

After a year in the infantry, I had a somewhat different view and I said so.

"Well," he said, "I've been on this ship for ten months and only been off of it for a couple hours once when they let me go to the PX in Dong Tam. I'd have gladly traded places with you."

I saw his point, and, you know what? I had to admit, I couldn't say the same to him. If you're out there, buddy, thanks for all you and the rest of the Navy did for us. And I don't mean just the good chow and clean sheets.

Thanks for the firepower that got Charlie's head down and for pulling our asses off of more than one unfriendly beach.

Thanks for always being there when we needed you.

Jim "Robby" Robertson
    C Co., 4/39th

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (6/1/01 8:58:02 am)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: An Army / Navy Perspective
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Stan:
    We always had an aircraft at Dong Tam.....and I remember landing on some sort of SHIP on the fantail...it was tricky even in calm water since the thing was actually always "bobbing" up and down. But I do remember that there was a terrific spirit of cooperation between the Army and Navy. We were always treated first class by the Navy and I, too, would add my thanks for that.
    On occasion, we'd also work with the Marines when their aircraft were either down or over extended. All in all, there was absolutely no jealousy between services that I recollect. It was always a genuine willingness to help for the cause. It was a true case of camaraderie that we all shared.

106RR196LIB
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/3/01 1:27:14 pm)
    | Del Re: An Army / Navy Perspective
    I'd like to thank the Navy for saving my fanny during Tet. They gave me safe passage back to my unit by Swift Boat when all other passage out of Danang was taken up by higher ranks. I got a ride from Camp Tien Shau (SP) to Chu Lai with one transfer at sea.
    I 'd also like to thank the Navy Corpsman who worked with a USMC CAC Team in the village of Phouc Hoa on the peninsula south of Chu Lai. He injected me with a much appreciated and very precious ampule of morphine at a time when I was in great pain. I won't forget the helpless look on his face when I screamed that I couldn't move my legs. My legs are fine now but the memories of gut wrenching terror and excruciating pain still haunt me. The morphine was a blessing and it was all he could do.
    Mike H

Edited by: 106RR196LIB at: 6/3/01 11:12:17 pm

hope6970
    (6/3/01 5:44:36 pm)
    | Del Re: An Army / Navy Perspective
    I don't remember being with anyone that wasn't Army incountry but stateside I was at the Chicago Railway station heading west and started to transfer to another train and who grabbed my luggage and carrried it for me..Marines. They grabbed my luggage and each of them had a duffel bag over their shoulders, they said come on sis, and I remember I had to pratically run to keep up with them. They could really double time, because the time was short for transfering from one train to another.

At that time the bus, railway, airports were full of different services and I never did see any jealousy with anyone. It was just like being with one big family.