an honest-to-god german mauser

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by JLA, May 7, 2009.

1. JLA

JLA Moderator

I purchased a german mod. 98 mauser today from an old timer here in town. Its been sporterized (just a new stock, really nice i might add, and the reciever has been drilled for redfield mounts, otherwise as issued), the bore is immaculate, the sights are in tact and still functional (although hard to use below 400 meters because of the high cheek comb). The codes are as follows...

S/42 1937 on top of the reciever, firing proof and serial number 8XX on the left of the reciever (yeah, a 3 digit serial number), WaA63 under the weimar eagle on the right of the rear sight base (stamped twice side by side), Nazi eagle holding a swastika with the numbers 63 under it (stamped 3 times side by side on the right of the reciever, as well as the weimar eagle with the numbers 63 stamped under it on various other parts of the rifle. all numbers match on everything except the stock since its a replacement sporter stock.

heres what I know...

built in mauser werke A.G., Oberndorf-am-Neckar 1937, chambered in 8X57mm mauser.

This is my first honest to god german mauser and Im seriously thinking of restoring it to its as issued state. The old timer I purchased it from was selling this rifle and a New Haven Country Squire 20 ga. shot gun for 165 bucks. I paid him 180 bucks for both which earned me a look at his other treasures. He has some real gems.

I think I did ok, what do yall think? I'll post up some pics soon as I get it cleaned;)
  2. Charlie the sniper

Charlie the sniper New Member

England, thats the USN aircraft carrier near europ
    OOOOOhhh, you lucky Bast**d,:D I hope you enjoy your Mauser, cant wait to see some photo's. The military stock is the way to go ;)
  3. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

$180 just for the K98k was an uberdeal. $180 for the K98k and a shotgun was a megasuperuberdeal.
  4. SF Mike

SF Mike New Member

Kinda far from as issued-stocks, handguards and and metal parts are numbered on these pieces, even the cleaning rod.
    The reciever holes are a killer.
    You did ok for the price.
    You will pretty much have the value of the piece invested by the time you replace parts.
    Many of these were modified years ago when it actually added to their value.
  5. JLA

JLA Moderator

I have decided to go ahead and leave it sporterized. The rifle shoots well. I went ahead and bought a redfield mount and rings for it and welded the bases to the reciever. I lapped the rings and am going to order a decent scope for it. The stock turned out to be a semi inletted boyds monte carlo stock with an ebony tip and grip cap. I good friend of mine is in the process of refinishing it. I figured I only have 90 bucks in it if I split the cost between the two guns so If I screw it up oh well. I will post pics when I get it ready to shoot.
  6. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

JLA did you keep the Country squire? I am looking at one. they seem kind of cool. I actually want a his and her hunting set with 12ga and 20ga. I am leary because they are so inexpensive. My father in law has killed many a deer with mossbergs so I am thinking they must be decent quality.
  7. JLA

JLA Moderator

I cut the barrel down to 20" and sold it to a friend last year.
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

well how did the rifle come out? you promised pics