An introduction

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sabashimon, Oct 31, 2007.

1. sabashimon

sabashimon New Member

I wanted to take a moment and introduce myself.
    My name's Shimon, and I've been reading everybody here on the Forum for a while now, really enjoying the back and forth here, all the while learning and vicariously picking all your brains for your knowledge and experience.
    I had hesitated joining in because I wasn't sure how a veteran from another country might be received.
    I was born in Israel, but grew up in the States. After high school I went back, worked and raised a family, and of course served in the IDF.
    I had the good fortune(?) of finishing basic training and tank school just in time for the war in '73. I could write a book on those experiences, but it sounds as though many of you have been "there".
    The Lebanon had the good fortune of my company for much of the 80's, as did she for most of my compatriots, and then again this last go-around when I went back to see if they could still use an old fart in decent shape.
    The weapon of the day for me was the Glillon, or a shorter muzzled version of the galil. I think maybe it's call a SAR here. A damn fine weapon.
    Since coming back to the States 6yrs ago(family issues), I, along with my 32yr old son who lives here have gotten more and more involved with handguns, taking a wide variety of classes from well respected instructors, and soaking up as much as we can.
    Anyway, hope that wasn't too much info.
    I'm looking forward to being here.

PS: In case anybody was wondering, the shield under my name represents the 7th Armoured Brigade
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  2. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Welcome a vet is a vet is a vet we all took orders and did our job that war yours and mine is behind us. I can't speak for everyone but from me you are welcome brother.
    Ron
  3. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Retired VET also. Did a lot of time with the 101st ABN DIV at Ft. Campbell Kentucky.
    No matter what country you served welcome.
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum.
  5. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:) welcome aboard!!
  6. 17thfabn

17thfabn Member

Welcome Sabishimon. Come on down and check out the military history forum.
  7. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Welcome Shimon.

Any Vet is appreciated, and one from one of our closest allies even more.

Interestingly, in the 80s, I worked for in Retail Loss Prevention for a company who dealt with Sensormatic for EAS and some CCTV, and our National Accounts Rep with them was an Israeli with dual citizenship, who was a Major, who if I remember right commanded a battalion of Super Shermans...maybe M60s, I forget...and on one of your "incursions" through Lebanon into Syria, the one I think ended up close to Damascus before world "Diplomatic Intervention" stopped it short, was actually called up on short notice right before a meeting we had scheduled, and he was flown overnight via the Concorde to France, and then flown to Israel, where he met up with his unit already on the move...

He was a great and interesting guy, when I sat next to him I noticed he took all of his business notes in Hebrew, and I always wondered what he was REALLY writing about us and our "complaints," ;):p

Once at a meeting when he was scheduled to lead off on day two, he showed up the day before right when that day's meeting was winding down, and told us all that "Breakfast was on him" the next day, and to meet at the conference room....he personally made us all Lox and bagels...said it was all he could afford since we beat him up on price so much...;):p:D:D

Some guys didn't care for it, but I actually thought it tasted pretty good....;)

I also remember sitting in a bar with him once in the late 80s, and getting into a HEATED discussion with him about the relative merits of the M1 Abrams versus the then new Merkava...he was ADAMANT that the speed and the mobility of the Abrams was nice but irrelevant, "In Desert Warfare, long range first round hits are everything, even if you are stopped to deliver it, speed is relative, only accuracy counts." (Typical British influenced Armor officer talking, right?;))

I ALWAYS wanted to track him down after the Gulf War in 1991 to see if he changed his mind on anything he said about the Abrams....:p:D

Again, Welcome, and we look forward to picking your brains.

Be sure to stop into the History Forum and share your experiences with us as well...
  8. Welcome to TFF, Saba! You are an Israeli vet? That is wonderful news! We would love to have you join in our discussions and give us your input. As Ron said, a vet is a vet, is a vet and you'll find a lot of those on these forums, ranging from WWII, to Korea, to Vietnam (which includes me), to the recent Iraqi conflicts. Word has it that 358 winchester is actually a veteran of the Spanish American War, but I think that may be just a rumor. ;) I'm a college instructor in history and philosophy and did part of my graduate work in the relationship between Judaism and early Christianity. I shall very much enjoy getting into some conversations with you! As for the firearms, you will find just about all kinds discussed around here.

Once again, welcome to our little corner of the funny farm. Shalom! :)
  9. sabashimon

sabashimon New Member

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I look forward to learning from each other.
    And to Polishshooter......I started out in the 70's in our Israeli re-modifed Centurions, and by the early 80's had moved over to the Merkava. I served with the first two versions, and they're on the fourth version now. All I can say is, never having been in an Abrams (though I've talked to a number of American GI's who served in them), I can't imagine a better battle tank then the Merkava for a number of reasons, not the least of which is crew safety.
    Regards, and thanks again
    Shimon
  10. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

that is not true there wasn't any America durning my war the earth was still flat :D:D:D
  11. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Warm welcomes from Southwest Florida. Glad you're here and hope you'll post often.

I work for Isreali's which, I suppose, qualifies me for hazard pay. ;):p:D So, We'll have much to discuss.

Shalom.
  12. durk

durk Active Member

Welcome Saba!
  13. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I thought only Marlin was old enough to have seen that war...? :D:D:D:D

mike
    gn
  14. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Oh...so you allready know i'm the forum Idiot ?!!! :D Welcome to TFF sabashimon!!!!!!!!

WHAT I WANNA KNOW IS..... are Israeli women as hot as i've heard they are?? :D:D:D:D

mike
    gn
  15. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

SabaShimon, in regards to your affection for the Merkava, spoken like a true Homey, I would have expected nothing else!;)

Just don't go dissin' on the Abrams, we got a few US tankers on board as well, that feel the same way about THEIR ride...:p And while the Merkava is a another of the world's greatest tanks of all time, don't challenge them to a RACE either, OR hitting those targets while at speed...

I've always thought the Merkava was an interesting design though, carrying your infantry support in your hip pocket and all...

But as a World War II nut, I am partial to learning all I can about the US M4 Series....when was the last time the IDF used their "Super Shermans" in combat?