An old Gras

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by MSGT-R, Apr 21, 2012.

1. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

I know I've posted this in the relics forum, and I've been doing a lot of work on this weapon. This was given to me in terrible shape; it looked like a beat up junk yard refugee. I set it aside until I figured out what I was going to do with it. I wasn't sure I could save it.

It took me a month of weekends to clean everything up (lots of surface rust) and another month to work on the stock, but now it's finished. The bore is now clean, but I can still see small rust pits all through it. Rifling looks good enough to shoot, but I'm no expert.

I'm sure that the purists will be mortified that I cleaned it up, but believe me, it was really bad. I almost got rid of it, but no one would take it the way it was. If nothing else, it now looks good enough to hang on the wall of someone's den. ;)

Fire away; what's it worth, Gurus?

Attached Files:

2. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

If it looked as bad as it sounded you are a miracle worker, cause it sure looks beautiful now. Great job.
  3. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Thank you. Lots of sanding, starting with 40 grit and ending with Spar Varnish.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I think I would have just oiled the stock but I am not sure what the original finish on those was. But, yes, a nice rescue job and I don't think anyone can criticize you for doing it.

An interesting gun and of significant historical importance.

Jim
  5. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Thanks. From what I could tell, it didn't have a finish on it at all. It had big black stains I couldn't remove from past oilings of the metal parts. I used satin finish varnish, but it came out a lot shinier than I thought it would. I guess I could knock the shine down with some 0000 steel wool and wax it (?) Never done that before.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  6. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Congratulations on a job well done! I know how much time and effort it takes to bring one of these old beaters back. You have done a great job! Kudos. I would be proud to own it! Ain't it just the most fun, though.:)
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Wow, that was really bad!!! It is amazing that you could do that well with it!

Jim
  8. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I would love to have that kind of time on my hands...maybe one day.
  9. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

When you're ready.. I was in the process of refinishing my husband's first rifle that was given to him. It overstayed its temporary placement in the attic and got all messed up by the humidity. I was on a roll and decided to tackle this too. I did it over a month of weekends.

Now I have to find a 4' rifle bag for it.