An Old Iver Johnson Pistol Add

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 199er, Oct 7, 2010.

1. 199er

199er New Member

Thought this was a very interesting add compared to those today........ a young child with a doll and a pistol..............."Hammerless Automatic", "Absolutely Safe", and "Papa says it won't hurt us"..................price $6.00.

Times sure have changed regarding pricing and the marketing of handguns.

B9725FA5687D43C986C31B0CDE2196CC.jpeg
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Heh. I'm sure most mothers with young children would scream in horror if they saw this ad.
  3. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I love how it says ''papa says it wont hurt us''...yea till you pull that trigger. My wife gets nervous when my daughter has her .22 cricket out-and I am with her-with no ammo.
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:)Yes, that was an eye catching ad, the first 10 times it was posted.:)
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

two reasons that revolver won't hurt that young girl. it has the "hammer the hammer" action (hammer can't hit firing pin until trigger is pulled) and the trigger pull on these iver johnson safety automatic hammerless revolver is so heavy that most women have a hard time with them.

nowadays it is hard to believe that a child this age would ever be handed a loaded revolver, but as was posted earlier this was a different era. the safety automatic hammerless revolver sold for $6.00 in the 1902 thru 1904 time frame, the hammer model sold for $5.00. this was when the average going wage was a $1.00 a day and the work week was usually monday thru saturday.
    bill
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The point of this ad is not, "Give the gun to the baby to play with". The point of the ad is, "when your baby finds your gun (and rest assured, your baby WILL find your gun) she can't accidentally shoot herself or little brother".
  7. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Unless my kids become professional locksmiths or Spiderman..no chance.