AN THOI, LST's, SEABEE INFORMATION.

Discussion in 'The VMBB True Story Tellers' started by Guest, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

low2go
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (6/13/01 6:31:05 am)
    | Del All AN THOI, LST's, SEABEE INFORMATION.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Over the past month or so I have visited with many of you and told you that my Vietnam service yearbooks were on loan to a writer over in Las Vegas. He has returned them, and now is catch up time on some of the things I recall speaking to you of. The photo showing LST 810 is offloading gear and equipment for my Seabee battalion when they were assigned to build facilities at An Thoi in 69. The photo of the Snoopy Dog Hootch that was destroyed in the rocket attack in 68 up at Dong Ha. Also the stories and pictures of Marvin Shield's widow and little girl being with Pres. LBJ when he presented Marvin's Medal of Honor posthumously. If there are any of you out there who would like to see these yearbooks, let me know and I'll send them to you, with the promise that you would return them to me when you're finished. Wilborn

Genog
    (6/13/01 9:37:33 am)
    | Del Re: AN THOI, LST's, SEABEE INFORMATION.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Any photos there of LST-902?

Geno G

Rons Toys
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/13/01 10:22:04 am)
    | Del Geno - LST-902
    LST-902

www.mrfa.org/lst_902.htm
    www.navsource.org/archives/10/160902.htm

grunt.space.swri.edu/navy052.htm Trying to locate: Crew members of USS
    Luzerne County LST-902 Branch of Service: Navy Unit was: Where served: Viet
    Nam When served: Dec 66 to Jan 68

Message is: Like to find former crew members of the USS Luzerne Country
    LST-902. Still have the pictures from the ships party, and some of the runs up
    the river. Would like to know were abouts of Patrick NASH RD2.. Thanks A.E.
    Dickgieser Please contact: A. E. DICKGIESER, QMC, USCG, Ret Mailing address:
    13320 208th Ave SE City, State, Zip: Monroe, Wa. 98272 Or send email to A. E.
    DICKGIESER, QMC, USCG, Ret using this automatic email form"

TShooters
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/13/01 10:55:42 am)
    Chief,

You are most generous to share your service yearbooks with people who'd like to see them.
    Have you ever thought of scanning their pages and recording to CD, in perhaps Adobe Acrobat form, so that your treasured originals would remain in your possession? Gosh,
    I'd hate for something like that to get lost in the mail or forgotten to be returned to you.

Sharon

low2go
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (6/13/01 5:33:31 pm)
    You know Sharon, I guess I'm just a trusting fool--never occurred to me that anyone would keep those old personal cruise books---but you're right--if I knew how to do the procedures, that would solve a lot to the concerns about loss. There are real live names and faces to match the stories I have written and are here on JD's site--the Padre,Lt. Sell, Jimmy Walker, Gunny Johnson and Gunny Gawyne, Marvin Shields. You know, come to think of itSharon, I never did tell you about Frank and Marvin and Donnie as I promised--please forgive me--too many irons in the fire--now there an old Texas expression for you--like Jimmy Durante used to quip--"I GOTT'A MILLION OF 'EM FOLKS"!!! Wilborn

TShooters
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/13/01 8:15:34 pm)
    Dear Chief,

I'm a trusting soul, too. I'm also a cautious soul about loaning things
    that I'd hate to lose and that are irreplaceable to me. And, I didn't mean to
    imply that someone would intentionally keep your service books out of meanness. Sometimes things happen, though, out of the borrower's control. (Witness the time
    our dog got a package that was rubber banded by our mail carrier to our mailbox
    lid off of it and chewed/ripped both the heavy outer package and the book inside to shreds.)

Keep on keepin' on, Chief! If you have a scanner and can scan the pages
    of your service books and email to me, I have a CD burner, and would be glad
    to help you get them on a few CDs for loan out.

Sharon