And the Medal of Honor goes to...

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by phil-this, Jun 3, 2011.

1. phil-this

phil-this New Member

"LONDON (AFP) – A Nepalese soldier in the British army has been given a top bravery award by Queen Elizabeth II for his heroics in Afghanistan, where he single-handedly saw off more than 30 Taliban fighters.
    Corporal Dipprasad Pun, 31, said he thought he was going to die and so had nothing to lose in taking on the attackers who overran his checkpoint.
    He was awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross (CGC), which is given in recognition of acts of conspicuous gallantry during active operations against the enemy.
    Pun fired more than 400 rounds, launched 17 grenades and detonated a mine to repel the Taliban assault on his checkpoint near Babaji in Helmand Province, southern Afghanistan, last September.
    Surrounded, the enemy opened fired from all sides and for 15 minutes Pun remained under continuous attack, including from rocket-propelled grenades and AK47 guns."

I know this is my second thread in two days but I saw this on yahoo news and thought...You guys should love this guy.

Even if this guy wasn't defending, this is proof that with enough balls and intelligence, people can accomplish great things.
  2. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Thanks Phil
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  4. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

5. artabr

artabr New Member

He should have gotten the Victoria Cross.

Art
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I agree; I've been doing some research on his actions vs those of others that have received the VC and the CGC; I fail to see how he wouldn't measure up for the VC. But I wasn't there and I don't know all the facts, so I will just have to tip my hat to one very brave and tough Brit !
    He know's just as well as most of us, that a medal doesn't mean squat; it's the lives of those you've served and the fact that he came out of it with his own life that is meaningful.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

nothing wrong with a CGC folks
  8. bmpeele

bmpeele New Member

Did anyone else laugh at the thought of someone being hit with a MG tri-pod?
  9. Archie

Archie Member

I'm guessing he didn't get a Victoria Cross because he wasn't wounded in the action. (In my mind, NOT getting wounded means he's even better than he might have been. But no one asked me.)

Without discounting Corporal Pun's actions, competence and merits, I had to laugh when I saw the information about being a "... 31 year old Corporal..." Which brings up a John Wayne line: "In another ten years, you'll make Sergeant!"

He gets a beer on me at any rate.