And the "turncoating" begins...

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by graehaven, Feb 23, 2010.

1. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2221899520100222

UPDATE 1-New U.S. senator helps Democrats advance jobs bill

WASHINGTON, Feb 22 (Reuters) - A modest job-creation bill advanced in the U.S. Senate on Monday as the chamber's newest Republican bucked his party and sided with Democrats on a $15 billion package of tax cuts and highway spending.

Republican Scott Brown joined four other Republicans, 55 Democrats and two independents to overcome a procedural hurdle that sets up a final vote later this week.

Brown was widely hailed as a conservative hero after his surprise victory in Massachusetts last month gave Republicans enough seats to block most Democratic legislation.

His election prompted President Barack Obama and his fellow Democrats to call for increased bipartisanship, and an earlier version of the bill was written with Republican input.

But key Republicans withdrew their support after Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid scaled it back.

Brown said the bill was not perfect but would help put people back to work.

"I hope my vote today is a strong step toward restoring bipartisanship in Washington," he said in a statement.

The bill includes a tax credit for businesses that hire unemployed workers, subsidies for state and local construction bonds and $19.5 billion to shore up a highway-construction fund.

Much of the cost is offset by a crackdown on offshore tax shelters.

(Reporting by Andy Sullivan, editing by Philip Barbara) END

And the new label......RINO, or maybe..... DEM in RINO clothing.

Brown sticks a knife in the backs of voters within days of being sworn in. Ain't politics great.

And some want this guy for president? Please. :mad::mad::mad:
  2. red14

red14 Active Member

""Brown sticks a knife in the backs of voters within days of being sworn in. Ain't politics great.""

Well, now we know how/why he got his last name.
  3. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

And therein lies the flaw in the concept, "vote 'em all out!" Who will we replace them with? A politician starts to lie when his lips begin to move. If not he/she could not be running. They must sell their souls to get in office and do and say anything to stay there. It's all about money. Public Service is an oxymoron.
  4. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

The bill is just a stupid attempt to give the demeocrats cover to say "we cut taxes". They are giving employers something like $1200 credit for a new hire. Wuuu Hoo I bet that makes all you small business people ready to run out and spend $50k-$75k and hire a new worker. All it is, is for show. I bet if you dig into it you'll see where the money is going. Several people related to politicans will be rewarded or for those with a John Edwards personna so significant other will benefit.
  5. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Aw come on guys, his record was out there for anybody to look at, no surprises here. He got elected because he said he wasn't an Obama supporter, was against the healthcare plan as worded and he wasn't a Democratic apologist like his opponent was. You really didn't expect a conservative from Massachusetts did you. If he had been he wouldn't have even got on the ticket.

Baby steps is what we get and no better than that as long as people keep voting for Republicans and Democrats approved by the party machine. Things will not change until more people vote their conscience and pull the lever for a candidate they don't have to hold their nose for.
  6. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

^What Grump said^

Sheep in wolf clothing.:mad:
  7. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Republicans in Mass are Moderate Democrats in many other states. You really won't find a conservative in office in the northeast at this point.
  8. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Personally, I think all of you are way off base !! >MW
  9. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Cracking down on off-shore tax shelters, $$ for highway construction, credit for hiring unemployed -

I gotta agree, this MIGHT be a good bill -

Not saying it IS, but it might be.
  10. graehaven

It is a "spending bill" - spending money that we don't have. They're either creating it out of thin air (illegal - except for the Fed and Govt) or they are borrowing it - which is also WRONG! Wrong no matter what the economic situation is.

Voting YES on this bill is illogical, immoral and irresponsible.

Brown "sold" himself as a person who would not do this type of stuff - for that, he is a bold faced liar.
  11. RedPepper2

RedPepper2 New Member

I worked for Senator Scott Brown mainly to expell my flustration and dislike of Senator Ted Kennedy. I will not base my opinion of Senator Brown on only one vote. But we must watch and evaluate all politicians. Sorry to say but in many cases our choices are limited to the least likely candidate to sell our freedoms down the creek. That is why we must spend less time at the range/reloading bench and more time working in local politics.
  12. Lee C.

Lee C. New Member

I don't know what people don't under stand about this jobs bill. It is the same thing they tryed back in the 70s and 80s and it didn't do a thing to help then what do they think it is going to do now. There already business comeing out and saying it's not going to do any thing to help. All i see is the dems trying to make there selfs look good agine.
  13. graehaven

Well, I hope Mass. continues to see the light, and when he's up for re-election they throw him out and put in someone yet more conservative (if he's going to continue on this path - and it seems likely he will).
  14. walien

walien Former Guest

Turncoat? Did he promise to vote against this? I haven't read anything that would make him a turncoat. Unless the guy said he was going to vote against it, then it's hard to say that he's a turncoat.
  15. wpage

wpage Active Member

Can we really judge him on this one bill?
  16. graehaven

I don't know. I re-judged W on his pushing and signing of the Patriot Act. That was unconstitutional as well - big time. That was the turning point (for me anyway) with him. :mad:

It's not OK to spend billions on Health care, but IS ok to do so for jobs? It's the same principle - stop spending - and he walked away from that principle - in one vote.
  17. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I heard on the news this morning that Kerry, Libermann and Graham are getting together to draft a climate change bill. Lets see we have a democrat that promised a 50 cent per gallon tax increase when he ran for president, his running mate that got the democrat cold shoulder and became an independent and a republican that is really a democrat all figuring out how they can tax those that make over $250k. Hey what's another couple grand a year for fuel. It'll make Al Gore feel good especially when the economy officially hits a depression.

2010 it's time for RINO's to become extinct and democrats to get a real job.
  18. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

+1

He got the chair. That's all that matters.
    Sure, it's only a drop in the bucket. But the drops add up. And if it's just a drop, what's the point? It won't do squat, except to raise the deficit.:mad:

Throw 'em all out.
  19. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Bobitis, Brown is the RESULT of 'throw them all out'.

He is one of the REPLACEMENTS.

This does NOT give me a good warm feeling about the result of throwing them all out.