Angelenos, great reloading store closing 7/3/04

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rayra, Feb 12, 2004.

1. rayra

rayra New Member

For those in the greater Los Angeles area - The Reloading Center, located in Northridge, is slated to close on July 3rd.
    The owner is retiring and relocating out of state, and has decided to close. As of yet no serious potential bidders for the business have appeared.

The Reloading Center was a great supply store, having everything under the sun for Reloaders. They'd been in business for over a dozen years, through the thick of (firearm-related) business-hostile actions of L.A. City and County, and the State.

There isn't another store of its size or selection within at least a 1000 square miles. What few gun stores remain in L.A. County have a woefully limited selection of dusty reloading merchandise.

What's my connection? Nothing further than dropping by today and discovering the stunning and disappointing news. An occasional shopper there, a happy customer. Soon-to-be-formerly happy customer.

So I thought I'd give locals a 'heads up', 142 shopping days left before we are stuck with little other than mail order.
  2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

A thousand square miles?.....hmm...let see..square root of a thousand is..... 31.622776....meaning you'd only have to travel....hmmm at most...what 63 miles to be outside of that box......ahhh...watchya complanin bout? :D :p

mike
  3. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

rayra, sorry to hear that. stores like that are hard to come by. Selling Discounts??????????

LTS
  4. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised. A lot of places near me, I'm in the Inland Empire, are closing down, or have closed down. Mike's Guns, Rancho Gun Shop, Ontario Indoor Shooting Range, West End Gun Club, Lytle Creek, Horseshoe Canyon, Coburns Discount Guns, The Frontier Reloader, etc... and no one new has come in to replace them.

Everybody who lives here, and still shoots, either goes to Big Five, Walmart, or Turner's Outdoorsman.

I still have a set of Redding dies in .44 mag I bought from there. This was a big place. I doubt anyone will buy the business from him. Sad to hear.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2004
  5. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

glocknut your to serious

owner is probably moving so he can own a decent gun

wall-world has a very limited selection ,and nothing to do with reloading
  6. rayra

rayra New Member

In los angeles traffic?!? - you're nuts! :)

Actually, I mis-spoke it's more like 10,000 sq mi.

Liktoshoot, owner stated maybe on bullets, powder & primers. All the rest of his huge stocks of related material 'will likely go on eBay'.

Silencer, I'm not so happy with Turner's Outdoorsman anymore. Their Reseda location has really stagnated over the years (I swear the same bags of shotgun shell components have been on the bottom shelves for 10yrs+. Maybe their Pasadena location is better.
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

While I have never shopped there, it is sad that still another gun related business is going to be gone.

I can tell you that Turners is NOT a discount dealer!

I use a very small local to me dealer that basically has to order virtually everything. His reloading stock is minimal but again he can order anything and has very reasonable prices. For any of you guys in the High Desert (California, ouside of San Bernadino) you might try Victor Valley Shooters. Ray Beason is an honest active long time gun enthusiast (cowboy stuff mostly now) with a wealth of knowledge and always willing to help you get what you need.

LDBennett
  8. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

One of the largest sporting goods outlets and gun dealerships in Birmingham stopped carrying any reloading equipment or powders, bullets and primers a few years ago obstensively because they could not afford the liability that such items might incur. I never could get the owner to admit it but I suspect their insurer refused renewal if they didn't cease and desist and due to loyalty to a local agent they made no attempt to shop their account elsewhere.

It is just another stark example of the adverse effect the trial lawyers group has had and is having on everything in our everyday lives.