1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Animal Farm - The Liberal Agenda

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bubblehead, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

Being over the age of 60, when the "light goes on" in my head, it moves from "Dim to Bright" more slowly than in the past.

It occurred to me that an explanation for the present Liberal Agenda can be readily found, and easily understood, if one would read the book "Animal Farm", by George Orwell. The events and characters in Animal Farm satirize Stalinism, authoritarian government and human stupidity in general.

For those who are unfamiliar with this short story, here is a quick overview:

The short novel is an allegory in which animals play the roles of the Bolshevik revolutionaries and overthrow and oust the human owner of a farm (Manor Farm), renaming it Animal Farm and setting it up as a commune in which, at first, all animals are equal; however, class and status disparities soon emerge between the different animal species (the pigs being the "greater species"). The novel describes how a society's ideologies can be manipulated and twisted by those in positions of social and political power, including how a utopian society is made impossible by the corrupting nature of the very power necessary to create it.

The story is a short read, approximately 122 pages. I read it in high school but I am going to check it out from the library and take a "refresher course". I would encourage others to do so too.

John
  2. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Well, the Right Reverend George Orwell will soon be pronounced a Prophet from on High if folks would read 1984 and Animal Farm. :eek: :D
  3. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    I've already pronounced him so, a long time ago. And Jules Vern also...
  4. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I was assigned to read "Animal Farm" in 9th grade English. I normally love to read, but I just could not get through that book. I might give it another shot.
  5. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

45, i think you are on to something. the country is inching more and more towards 1984.
  6. I've always loved one particular line in Animal Farm, spoken by the pig: "All animals are created equal, but some animals are created more equal than others." That pretty much summarizes the liberal agenda in the final analysis.
  7. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Put that together with "Big Brother is Watching" and we know where we're headed...
  8. 45nut

45nut Active Member

chemfantry,

With red light cameras, cameras on various roads and intersections, keeping tabs on you via your cell phone (which can be tracked by any of the ALPHABETS), debit card, etc.......

We ain't inching there, we have been there for about 5 or 6 years! :eek: :mad::mad::mad:
  9. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

45nut....don't forget the RFID chips that we'll need to have implanted so that our ID's can't be stolen and so that the (up and coming?) national health providers, national banks, gov't owned food distribution centers, etc. can instantly access a database telling everything they need to know about us, with one fell "swipe"...

When bar codes started appearing on everything in the grocery store about 30 years ago, my heart sank to my stomach...I knew that was portending terrible things to come.
  10. B 'n B

B 'n B New Member

I always think of the poor draft horse that the pigs sell to the knackers .Reminds me of what happened to some people I know.
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Ayn Rand

Pops
  12. A most interesting philosopher/novelist indeed, Pops. Her politics were quite libertarian, but her philosophy of egoism--rational selfishness as she termed it--is considered extreme by some. I use her ideas as points of discussion when I teach ethics. :D
  13. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I do believe she displayed Asperger's Syndrome. ;) That is one of the strongest traits.

Pops
  14. That could well be true, Pops. Those suffering from Asperger's commonly exhibit severe social interaction problems, which might account for her view that egoistic behavior is the only rational approach to life.
  15. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Egoism is the driving force behind all that we do. It confuses the dickens out of kids when they ask why I'm so nice and do things for them and I answer "Because I'm selfish. It makes me feel good." :D They soon get the idea, though.

Egoism drives our capatilistic society, our charitable acts, our every day interaction with others and our familial relationships. Most people don't like to hear this, but it is the truth.

Aspergers don't suffer from the syndrome, usually. We revel in it. :p What we suffer from is the unacceptance from others concerning our surface differences.

Pops