Animal transporter nationwide..Black Powder pistol carry question

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by marlok1, Apr 11, 2012.

1. marlok1

marlok1 New Member

I travel all over the country transporting dogs to and from clients and have had my share of strange meetings..I need to know if I can carry a loaded Blackpowder pistol that is in a holster under my car seat while traveling..???
  2. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Laws vary by state. I don't think anyone can give you a blanket yes or no statement. Many states consider that a concealed firearm and it is a no no that will have you in the federal prison system if crossed state lines.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
  3. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Do you have a CCW? If not, go get one.
  4. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

are you guys reading all of marlok1's original post? he's asking about a Black Powder pistol, as in not a modern firearm.

if I remember correctly the law says that a weapon or replica of a weapon made or designed before a certain year is not considered a firearm, so theoretically you could conceal carry, say, an 1851 Navy .36 revolver.

but don't take my word for it.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Jerryboy, I don't know about the entire country, but this if Florida law.

A black powder pistol is NOT a firearm.

BUT

Anything that you use AS A WEAPON is a weapon.

So, if I have a screwdriver in my pocket. Or a crescent wrench. Or a hammer. You know - a "tool". If I were to go up to someone and stab them with the screwdriver, or hit them with the wrench, or rob the store using the hammer to threaten the clerk, along with everything else I would be charged with carrying a concealed weapon.

Therefore, if I put a loaded Colt Navy cap-n-ball revolver in a shoulder holster under my coat, that's not a "concealed weapon", because it's not a gun. But if I use it to defend myself, then it becomes a weapon, and I become guilty of carrying a concealed weapon.

Ain't the law interesting?
  6. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Generally speaking, in most states it will make no diference whether a loaded handgun, carried for self-defense, is Black Powder percussion (or even flintlock) or a modern cartridge firearm. It will usually be considered a weapon, and a concealed weapon in some states if carried loaded in a motor vehicle.
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yep.
  8. flintlock

flintlock Active Member

In New York, as long as it's not loaded(not much use then, is it), and you don't have either powder or ball for it, it's not going to be a problem as long as it's packed away. So why bother? All bets are off in Bloomberg county however.
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Welcome to the forum! I suggest that you talk to a local professional. Not an LEO, but to someone that teaches hand guns for SD. I don't think that just because it's a BP firearm will make a difference, but what do I know? Ask someone who is knowledgeable about fire arm laws on a national level, I would suggest an attorney as a possible source.