Another beef with the NRA

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by RunningOnMT, Oct 3, 2009.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I am an NRA member as well as a GOA member. I really want to continue supporting the NRA but they aren't making it easy.

You see earlier this year I was unsure about renewing my annual membership because of positions they had taken or I had HEARD they had taken on issues.

I finally decided I would renew. The problem is that while my membership had lapsed I had received two other cards from them that LOOKED like membership cards and one had a number on it but it was different from my original member number.

Then someone contacted me by phone and asked me to renew and I said ok and I made my payment via credit card. I don't believe I ever received another card from them after this conversation. To further complicate matters I had thought that I was making a down payment on a life membership, but I have received no further billing.

This confusion was all brought about by the NRA's aggressive solicitation of members for funds both for renewal and additional donations. They've managed to get me confused as to my member status...ok I'll admit, confusing me isn't that hard. Now I'm not sure if the card I currently carry which shows an expiration in 2010 is the correct one, and if the number on it is correct.

I wanted to contact them about verifying my current member status and converting to life member and making payments. They have a link to contact them but it gives specific categories about the nature of your message...I hate not having a none of the above options.

So they give a phone number. I called and got a recording that their offices were closed but would be open on Monday through Friday til (I forget what time) and Saturdays til 6:00 pm. But the call was made at about 1:00 pm on Saturday. According to their recording they should have been open.

Anyway I'm getting back to feeling like their main mission is to collect money to support their salaries rather than actually working to protect our second amendment rights and providing member services.

To contrast this, I received an email several days ago from the GOA president which contained some disturbing information. I then went to their web sit which I admit isn't as elaborate as the NRA's and used the contact them option and wrote comments and asked questions about my concerns. The next day I received a personal email reply addressing my issues, not some form letter. I was impressed.
  2. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I'm a current NRA member,but I will not renew.
    Too much of my money has gone toward this:

http://www.graphicnet.net/photo/nra-headquarters

Too many suits.
    Too many conventions.
    Too much begging for suits and conventions.
    Too much greed.:mad:

I know the game and how it's played.

Politics as usual.
  3. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave Member

Yes, you can gripe at them, but.......

We MUST speak with a big voice, and the NRA IS the big voice. The cost is a half-dozen Starbucks a year. Do I agree with everything, with how they spend their money? No. Am I a member? Yes. We'll NEVER all agree on everything, but we can agree on the BIG things, and that's the Feds have too much power and want us disarmed. They fight the government on these issues. Everything else is so far down the totem pole that I don't care.
  4. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I agree. Became a life member in the 90's and sometime their vision seems lacking but the anti's are united in their hatred and now with an anti-gun executive branch it seems more important than ever to stay together.
  5. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Looks like a pretty standard medium sized office building to me. What's the gripe? Specifically, what's the gripe?

Go ahead, quit the NRA. But don't give me these vague accusations.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  6. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Vague accusations?
    I don't think I was vague in any way.

The building houses thousands of people. Far too many to help me fight the good fight.

Bigger is better?

I first joined the NRA 30 years ago and gave it up. 5 years ago I thought I'd give them another chance. NO change.

IMHO, greed is greed. Doesn't matter what side of the street you stand on.
    Sure, they spend a few bucks debating the merits of the 2nd. I expect a little more bang for my buck and less travel time with the apparel and cocktails.

Does the NRA stand up for me? Hell YES!

Does the NRA use my money wisely? I don't think so.

Too many egos at play here.
    Too much Me and not enough We.

YMMV
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

+1 BHD
    I do agree Bob, there are alot of politics and suits, but that is the unfortunate world we live in and we need these "suits" on our side, IMO. I agree with the majority of what the NRA does; I believe 100% in what it stands for.
  8. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

You were not specific in any way.

If you don't like the way the NRA operates, quit.

If you have an accusation to make, be specific.

If you can't be specific then be quiet.
  9. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I guess I'll just shut up then.
  10. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

The heat most be getting to Tim in Fla.
  11. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Ain't no heat here. High of 86. I damned near froze to death today.
  12. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

13. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

Is there wasted money in the NRA? YES. Is there people who have taken advantage of the NRA system that is in place? YES. Is the NRA needed? YES

Good advertising costs a lot of money - so funds will be spent here. Since this is a political organization then the people representing us will spend a lot of money at places the normal citizen may think are wasteful, but in reality needful. At times if you are not wearing a $3000 suit, you do not get the 3 million $ donations.

I am a NRA Life Member. I DO NOT like everything they do, but still support them. I see them as a necessary evil for the present.

Call the NRA (1-800-672-3888). Most of them are not the smartest fries in the basket (a couple fries short of a Happy Meal), but they will get your membership situation straightened out. It took 4 months to get mine straightened out - that was still quicker than the US Army delivered a roll of toilet paper.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  14. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Here's another thing the NRA does that bothers me. We all know how they are always pushing for people to become life members, or want you to renew early. Why? Because their spending is greater than their income. That's not a very sound fiscal policy.

Ok, so if one year everbody renewed an annual membership a year early as they would have you do, what is going to happen to funding the next year? Potentially you could receive nothing because you had already received and spent the current years proceeds the previous year. So then you have to go out and dream up more ways to take in yet more money.

So lets say you got every current member of the NRA to convert to a life membership. Now lets assume they all paid cash up front. Let's also assume the average life expectancy of a current member was 25 years (just an arbitrary figure).

So all that money is taken in and spent in one year. What is going to happen in subsequent years when there are no member fees to collect? They would require member rolls to increase drastically. There is going to be a saturation point at which they would have reached the maximum number of people who would be willing to support them.

They will have to appeal to an even broader segmant of our society. Which means a wider range of opinions on firearms related issues. So you see eventually the NRA might have to appeal to the sentiments of Nancy Pelosi or Harry Reid for example. Then where is our representation?

Do you see what could happen? In an effort to constantly reach and recruit more new members, positions and policies would have to change to have an ever increasing universal appeal. That means compromise.

And all because of fiscal irresponsibility.
  15. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

Yep, VERY true. From what I understand they have a deficit of over $100 Million. Even in 2000 expenses outstripped revenues by over $20 million... which shows a long term problem.