Another Browning Sweet 16 Question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dglockster, Dec 20, 2007.

1. dglockster

dglockster Member

On a recent visit to an uncle's home, he showed me what he called a Browning Sweet 16. On one side of the barrel was stamped "Fabrique Nationale D'Armes De Guerre Herstal Belgique" and then "Browning Patent Depose."

On the opposite side of the barrel was stamped "Cylinder 16 Special Steel Made in Belgium." There were also some numbers but they were blocked by the foregrip and I could not really make them out.

Stamped on the bolt, in decending order, was "233," what looked like a tower, what looked like an arrow pointing down (just the head and part of the shaft), and last was either a lion or a gryphon over P.V.

The stock has the "round knob" and the checkering is in good condition. Both the stock and the foregrip show use but no damage. There is also no engraving on the receiver and the barrel is not ribbed. Overall, the metal is more gray than blue.

I've looked at an online site that offers guns for sale but the Sweet 16 guns that are shown all have engraing that my uncle's gun lacks.

Without pictures, what is a guess as to the value of the shotgun?

Thanks.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Here's what the Blue Book says:

Auto-5 Sweet 16 (Plain Barrel):

95% - $725
    90% - $625
    80% - $500
    70% - $425

Subtract 20% for front safety.
    Subtract 20% for 2 9/16 chamber.
  3. dglockster

dglockster Member

Thank you, Xracer.

However, I now have another question regarding the safety. The safety is integrated into the front of the trigger guard. To activate the safety, one pushes inward on the mechanism from outside the trigger guard. To deactivate the safety one pushes outward from inside the trigger guard. Is this type safety that is meant by the term "front safety" as in "Subtract 20% for front safety"?
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hmmmmm.....I don't really know! :(

Some people expect us "so-called" experts to know everything about every firearm ever made. :eek:

In my case, I'm not really a "shotgun guy" (except in the case of the old Crescent-made "Hardware Store" shotguns).

Sooooooo.....for questions of value on shotguns, I just crack open my Blue Book and copy what it says. :)

Keep checking back......maybe a real expert on Browning A-5's will drop in and answer your question.