Another Casting Question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by zant, Nov 20, 2011.

1. zant

zant Active Member

I have a lot of pure lead-I cast for my ML with it....if I want to cast low velocity-under1000fps-handgun bullets...how much solder do I use per pound of pure lead so I don't lead barrels....Thx
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If you go to a plumbing shop and get a one-pound bar of 50/50, that will be one-half pound of tin. If you melt that along with nine pounds of lead in your normal ten-pound pot, you will have a 20:1 mix, which is just about perfect for cast bullets.
  3. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I read somewhere that above about 2% tin you gain little or nothing in hardness. You do NOT want to go over about 10% as this will contribute to extreme leading. 5% should be fine, and adding tin will allow you to cast much crisper looking bullets.

I'd also point out that proper size to the barrel will help more than anything else in reducing leading.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

the bar solder formula Alpo gives is a good one. It will have a BHN of about 12, which is perfect for bullseye velocity. Lyman #2 alloy is made the same way but with 9 pounds WW alloy to 1# 50/50 bar solder, yields a 16 to 1 mix with a BHN of about 15. the 20:1 responds well to quenching, if you find you need slightly harder bullets just drop them right from the mold into a bucket of ice water. 16:1 responds to quenching even better. And the think i like most about quenching is I dont have to mess around with hot bullets.
  5. zant

zant Active Member

Thank you,Gentlemen...as always,when in doubt....ask someone with more knowledge:)
  6. 243winxb

243winxb New Member

Linotype, containing antimony & tin is what i use. Antinomy is the main harding metal. 2% Antimony must be in the alloy for water drop harding to work.