Another day at the range

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by todd51, Sep 21, 2012.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

There were six of us at the range today one of which was one of our Ohio State Senators, Tim Schaffer, who is one of the good guys. We made it to the range by ten o'clock and didn't leave till after six this evening. My butt is dragging:).

I didn't take any pictures of our shooting because I figured you all were getting tired of seeing the same old farts shooting.:rolleyes:

The Senator had a new to him Ruger LCP with Crimson Trace laser that he wanted to try. When we convinced him it was not a 50 foot target pistol and got him to move closer to the target to a more practical distance he got pretty good with it after a few mags to get used to such a little pistol.

John was another first time visitor to the range and he brought a Glock 23 (40 S&W) that he hadn't shot in two years. It took him a few mags full to get the hang of it but he finally got in some good target groups.

Bob was again shooting his Beretta Neos with Simons tube red dot. Bob has gotten into trying to hit the 8" plate at 100 yards with that pistol and can hit it around 75% of the time. Not as easy as it sounds. If you let me take a rest I can hit it with my Ruger MK III Target but "off hand" forget about it.:eek:

Jim had his S&W 22A but with out his AIM red dot which bit the dust and is on it's way back to BSA. He also had his Winchester Wildcat (Russian Tula bolt .22lr wearing the Winchester label) with a huge 24 power Barska scope. He just consistently makes one hole in the target at 50 yards.

Bruce had his S&W 22A. It was wearing my AIM red dot because his BSA red dot had the lens fall out and is on it's way back to BSA. So much for the cheap red dots:( Bruce has just been shooting for a year and a half and shoots no place but at my range with the rest of the old guys. It is amazing how well he is doing now. It must be the excellent instruction the rest of the old guys have given him:D

I had my Ruger MK III Target with Burris FastFire red dot. This is fast becoming my favorite plinking pistol because I can hit what I am shooting at. I put a Voquartsen trigger kit and a Sam's bushing in it and that was well worth the money. I also had that S&W M&P9 Pro along with me today. I now have about 250 rounds through it and I am getting better and more familiar with it but still can't shoot it as well as the Glock 19 but it is me and not the pistol. Give me time:p

I put the game camera up a week ago and today I down loaded 746 photos :eek: Lots of does and yearlings partaking of the feeder. There was one Coyote that showed total disrespect of my range by pissing on it. There was a non typical buck that showed up a lot late at night. Bob is looking forward to Sept. 29 when bow season opens. His grandson who is just back from the Marines is wanting to join him hunting this year. Looks like they should be able to get some meat. Here is just a sampling of the game camera photos.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I never get tired of your range reports Todd!
    Sounds like you guys made a day of it and an 8" target at 100yds is no easy feat...and glad to hear your getting "in" there with the S&W!

The Ruger MKIII Hunter that I have is by far my favorite. I took my Red dot of last wekend. It was "crazy" accurate, but something about those light green, open sights! (seems like you just cant miss with that pistol!)

GREAT to see those trail cam pics!
    Looks like either, that buck had an accident with his right antler when the velvet was on or he has some sort of injury/trama with the right side of his body?

Usually, if an antler (one side) is messed up as to the other side, it is due to stress on that side of the deer's body. Either way, nice looking buck deer and worthy of a good bow hunt.
    Nice to see those pictures and thank you for the report and TC pics.

I set mine out this past Wednesday and meant to check it Friday. (yesterday) I hope to have a look today. I found an awesome trail that I had no clue was where it was. It's been a "bottle-neck" point that connects two pieces of timber and they have been traveling back and forth from a feeding area to a bedding area.

I caught a NICE buck on my TC in July, I think it was, and with his velvet still on of coarse, he was looking to be a 13 point, as far as I could tell, then.
    But, havent seen much of him so I hope by haveing my TC out and about, I'll pick back up on him.

Great range report and fine trail camera pictures!;)
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

...that coyote right before daybreak, he needs a good "wackin'"! lol
    I've got a buddy up near Jackson Co. that is wanting to get together and do some coyote hunting in an apple orchard that a lady owns up in the area somewhere.
    He said she had asked him about it early this spring and that the coyotes was "takeing over" and she wanted them thinned out.
    But both our scheduals havent been in sync yet so far.
  4. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

I never get tired of seeing the pictures Todd, you could have included the Senator this time. The game shots made up for it though.

Little details like being able to hit what your shooting at sure makes it a lot more fun dosen't it. I'm having a lot of fun with my S&W 22A. Still not a very good shot, but I'm much better with it than I am with my Sigma. Unlike my Sigma, I can at least hit the target with the 22A Ha!

Thanks for the report Todd, like I said I never get tired of seeing the pics, and reading your reports, keep them coming.
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Update. While I didn't take any pictures someone else did take a few. So here they are for what they are worth.

Bruce presenting me with a jacket with the Ohio Fire Chief's Logo. If you look close Bruce's sun glasses say "Ohio". He is the practical joker of the group.http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=68294&stc=1&d=1348417583

This how I spend a lot of my time at the range when there is a crowd there. Got my coffee, the sandwiches and my favorite spot on the bench.
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=68295&stc=1&d=1348417583
    This is Bob with the two new http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=68296&stc=1&d=1348417583visitors to the range, Senator Tim and John.

Attached Files:

• 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      341.7 KB
      Views:
    • 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      285.6 KB
      Views:
    • 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      246.8 KB
      Views:
  6. Rocketman1

Thanks for the pictures Todd, bunch of great looking old guys there. Looks like it was a very nice day.

I'm curious to know what the signs say that are hung up under your shooting canopy?
  7. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks Rocketman. One of them is a warning to trespassers, another is to direct bench shots at the 50 foot targets away from a couple white oak trees I am trying to keep from being shot to death and the the third is just a list of the normal safe gun handling rules.

You going to have to join us down there one of these days.
  8. Rocketman1

I sure want to, but it will probably have to be on a weekend, unless I can schedule a day off work. Let me know when you are going again. If I have a few days notice, I can schedule a day off on a week day. I wanted to go last year when you invited me, but it was just not a good year with my wife being sick. I think I only got out twice last year, but I'm making up for it this year.

When I do join you down there, you might have to put some steel plates up in front of those white oak trees to protect them from me. Ha!
  9. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Hey weekends are fine. It just so happens that we have been going down on a Thursday or Friday. We have already hit every thing that was not supposed to be hit so don't worry, ha. I'll give you a shout but don't forget to mention to me if a particular time would be to your liking.

Todd