Another die question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/29/01 6:19:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Another die question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I had a wonderful day, I spent the entire day depriming, reprimming, sizing and Micing each piece of 260 rounds of 45 ACP brass given to me by loader44, By the way Loader44 Thanks again Bud!
    Now I'm ready to set up the seating and crimping die. But and don't laugh at me. I read the RCBS pamplet and can't make head or tails on setting and adjusting this last die. The info went over my head. Would someone but it in simple terms that I can understand. I'm off to the gun show tomorrow to try and find some buddits and would like to get started when I get in, I just don't want to mess up.

rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

AntiqueDr
    (9/29/01 6:30:48 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Another die question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK. Get the seating part set first. With the die backed out several turns so that it puts NO crimp on the casing, adjust the seating stem downward until it is seating the bullet to the depth you want. You are using one case (preferably unprimed and uncharged) and one bullet, over and over, until you get the right depth. Now, back out the seating stem until it could no longer contact the bullet nose. With the case/bullet in the shellholder and the ram all the way up, tighten the die down until you get resistance. Lower the ram, and tighten the die about a half-turn. Go up with the ram and see if you have adequate tension on the bullet. For .45ACP, which headspaces on the case mouth, you do not want a heavy crimp, but a taper crimp. It must hold the bullet securely, but cannot be crimped down like a revolver round would be. You may have to adjust the die a bit. Once you get the crimp right, then again put the ram up and tighten the seating stem against the bullet nose. Lock everything down, and load away.

By the way, what show are you going to? If it's around here somewhere I'd like to go with you...

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/29/01 6:53:42 pm)
    Pasadena convention center on Fairmont Park way. 3rd exit off 146 after you pass over 225. Turn right on Fairmont Parkway about 4 miles down on the right just before RedBluff. 15 min. from your house using Beltway 8 . 10:00 A.M. Do you want me to come buy and pick you up or meet me there. I'll be hunting powder, primers and buddits. My father -in-law just called and said they were wall to wall packed today. I bet the sellers had their prices at a premium, might be a good day to sell high!!
    BlackGUN

AntiqueDr
    (9/29/01 7:32:10 pm)
    Come by if its not out of your way, I'll buy breakfast this time.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/29/01 7:46:52 pm)
    I'll be at your house at 9:30 A.M.
    BlackGUN