Another Dirty 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by williamd, Feb 17, 2010.

1. williamd

williamd New Member

Got no response at all on this elsewhere. Maybe I am the only one who caes ???

Picked up a SA Fulled Loaded 5" today. It looked good but obviously needed some cleaning and a couple of idiot scratches attended to ... not bad at all .... As I tore it down - completely, though that was not my original intention - I again learned that the outside may not reflect the inside. This nice looking stainless was so dirty inside that I decided the guy sold it because it had develop cycling problems. Gun Scrubber, bronze brushes, Hoppe's, JB Bore Compound, Flitz, some stone work (ramp was incredible, looked like case rims had pinged the ramp - yes, I know brass is softer), ... I finally put it away in reasonably good shape. I picked up another 1911A1 two months ago and it, too, was dirty to the point of being non-functional. In the two month ago case the seller admitted the gun has issues but "worked perfectly for a couple of years". Talking with him I realized he had no idea how to break the gun down. It functions flawlessly now, hope today's does as well. 'Cleaning' for him amounted to spraying it down with WD-40. I like WD-40 and Duct Tape as well as the next guy, but in its place.
    I do not understand this attitude/approach by owners of nice guns! I have purchased used shotguns and rifles that were as bad. A Rem 1100 that was filthy and had the gas seal completely burned into pieces. I will sure pick up a bargain and do a bit of cleaning and repair but why do folks let this happen? Scared to break it down? Afraid to go to a smith or ask someone's help?
  2. oldobie

oldobie New Member

You are right that quite a few people just have the $$$ to buy what they want and when it stops working they move it on to someone else. As long as I get a bargain I, like you, will do a little repair and cleaning and enjoy what someone else has neglected.
  3. redhart

redhart New Member

i am guessing those with the dirty guns do not have to "bet thier life on them" if they did they would pay a bit closer attention to the condition they are in.I cannot think of a worse thing then to need to use a weapon and it would not work,and its my own fault for lack of cleaning.Back in 69 as a boot marine we got the message loud and clear,it has served me well.
  4. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

It's like anything else. I lost count of how many cars I have bought that needed only a set of points. The owner turns the key one day and it will not start so they push it in the back yard and buy another one. Alot of people have the $$$ to do that. I never did so I learned how to work on things.

It pays to know how to maintain your equipment.

Also, a little PMCS goes a long way.
  5. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I like to find those nasty guns that dont work anymore. A little cleaning is all it takes sometimes.
  6. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

Proper maintenance is the key to dependability. If a little cleaning is all it takes, you probably got a bargain. Wish I had that kind of luck!
  7. sorral

sorral New Member

I use my weapon for multipurpose. I shoot it for fun target shooting, competition, and for my carry arm. If I put even one round through my pistol, its off to the cleaning bench. A cop buddy of mine instilled a phrase in my mind... "you may someday have to prove you did not fire your weapon". That is a big reason my pistol stays so clean.
  8. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

At gun shows, it's easy to find a good deal from an owner who doesn't know how to clean a gun. I got two that way in January.