Another electrical question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bobitis, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I have a couple fans that quit working.

One above the stove, one in the bath, and a floor fan.

The stove and the bath just flat quit. The floor fan is s l o w to start up.

I'm not electric by any stretch. I hate the stuff.

Is there something I could spray on the motors to loosen them up without burning the house down? Or do I need to have them replaced?

Thanks.
  2. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound like the problem is related to each of one another....if that makes sense boB
  3. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

The bath...a fart fan....pop the cover, clean it, and check it out visually.
    The range top fan, remove the filter, clean it, give a visual inspect there also....the floor fan.....go to wal-mart, buy one........

Are the fans in the kitchen and the bath on the same circuit[breaker]?
  4. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Only thing I know of is an electronic cleaner spray [from like Radio Shack]
    but it AIN'T gonna fix your fans......
  5. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

The slow starting one probably means the brushes are almost worn out, they can be replaced on most motors, but it can be a pain to find the correct ones and a pain to replace it's much easier to just replace the whole unit , floor fans are less than $20. The other two may have a common bad connection, you can test them with an inexpensive meter (like the one pictured) from radio shack or homedepot, if you have power at the connection to each fan then the motors are burnt out or the brushes need replacing.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  6. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Kitchen and Bath fans.......noticed OR checked any receptacles[outlets]
    that no longer work??
    Like one in the hallway that you never use ????
    Fly me out there boB....I'll bring my 'bag' and check it out for ya Brother....
    but YOU gotta buy the Starbucks......
  7. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Nah...

The kitchen fan dived a couple months after I got the deep fryer. :D:(
    The bath and the floor I'm pretty sure is due to my smoking.

Yeah I know. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking crudded up motors.

I know there's stuff in a can for cleaning electronics, but electrics?
  8. hstout1143

As long as the spray doesn't leave a conductive residue there shouldn't be a problem, just give it enough time to dry completely before you plug it in.
  9. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

So....you gonna fly me out there to check it ......or what...?
    I will bring Sam.....IF he ever decides to 'again' get off the stinkin' road....:rolleyes::(
  10. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Stove fan = grease. Nutting you can do about it. Not expensive.

Floor fan..got any pets? I have 2 large dogs, and two cats. All, all at one time or the other, sleep behind my floor fan = hair. I tend to vacuum around the fan, not on it.

I only turn it on at bed time, to enjoy the White Noise so I can sleep. That's long enough as far as the pets are concerned.

Home Despot.
  11. Ed Wagner

Ed Wagner Member

AC fans don't have brushes, they are induction motors.
  12. langenc

langenc Member

Most tru-value/Aces have a box of brushes. Just take the old one with you and get a couple new ones. Probably not needed here but when you do that is the place to go.
  13. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I agree with Ed Wagner...and it's not because we share the same last name either. :)

Those AC fans are all induction motors and don't have brushes in em.

Most likely cause for the slow one (and probably the other two as well) is that the bushings are getting dry and there's too much friction. Yup, unless they're antique fans they've just got bronze bushings in em instead of ball bearings.
    If you can get at the bushings, you can spray them with some penetrating oil to soak the stuff loose and then drip a little light machine oil or your favorite gun oil onto the bushings to lubricate them.
    Most likely cause for the kitchen fan is it's gummed up with oil residue. Cooking oil isn't a very good lubricant, it's gets really gooey.
    Most likely cause for the poop fan in the bathroom is all the humidity from the bathroom getting drawn up into the motor.

If the fan motors have been stuck or sluggish for a while, it's possible that the windings are cooked in em and it's time to replace em. If they still turn when you give em a push start then you might be able to bring em back to life with some lubrication.

Safest bet from a fire safety standpoint...replace all three of em. Once you start having to lube those bushings, the motor is on it's way to the junkyard and you'll have to lube it regularly to keep it going.
    I usually oil the bushings in my bathroom fans twice a year anyway. One of the bathroom fans is 40s vintage and is still much quieter than all these cheap new ones that they make these days. I want it to last as long as possible. Just a couple drops of light oil soaked into the bushings every few months will keep em alive for a long time.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  14. hstout1143

I didn't know that, I've never worked on a fan motor but I've worked on other motors and they've all had brushes.
  15. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

house fans (like he is dealing with) are considered low load meaning they don't make much torque.

try some Rem Oil