Another Enfield ?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by 2000ShadowACE, Oct 17, 2012.

1. 2000ShadowACE

2000ShadowACE Member

Hi all. I just picked up a No.4 MKI 1943 British 303 rifle at an auction. No one was bidding on it so I took a chance and bought it cheap. Looking down the bore, the inside of the barrel looks brand new which got me wondering if the barrel had been replaced (possibly in another caliber). There are very few markings on the gun. It is a frankengun with no matching serial numbers and the only markings I could find were the Date on the band behind the receiver and an O in several locations ie: bolt, receiver band, receiver. the bands on the forearm are stamped VNS.
    I guess what I am looking for is if someone can help me identify if this was an armory rebuild or a garage monster that someone decided to dump. What is the best way to check the caliber to make sure it hasn't been rechambered for .308 or .30 carbine?
    After reading the below post I will be taking the fore arm apart to look for holes. Thanks for any input.
  2. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I suggest showing it to an experienced gunsmith who can advise you as to caliber and if it's safe to fire or not.

Those rifles which went throug rebuild programs might have parts from various manufacturers in them but all of the numbers will match. Esp. the bold and action. Rifles rebuilt in the UK are often marked "FTR" along with two digits for the year. FTR stands for Factory Thorough Repair.
  3. 2000ShadowACE

2000ShadowACE Member

Well, I finally got the rifle checked out and took it to the range. What a sweet shooting rifle. I have to play with it some more to get it sighted in, but the first five rounds I shot all hit in the vitals area of a deer target at 50 yards. The recoil was mild compared to my Mosin-Nagant and the action was much smother too. Now I just need to find someone with ammunition on hand so I can spend a day at the range getting comfortable with this fine old war horse.
  4. lead

lead Well-Known Member

So, did it turn out to be in the original .303Brit.? They are fine old rifles.
  5. johnsxdm

johnsxdm New Member

Plenty of ammo available on-line. I can't remember who , but I just saw someone had 100 rounds for like $80. I have myself a Mk4 No1* Longbranch that I love to shoot.
  6. Munch

Munch Member

You won't be disappointed with the .303 British. I love mine. Look at gun shows, as others have said some good deals online, if you reload, there is some brass out there. I picked up 150 pieces at the last local show for 30 bucks, Enjoy it!
  7. 2000ShadowACE

2000ShadowACE Member

Yes, it was the original .303. John, if you happen to remember where you saw that ammo deal, let me know. I found some locally, but they wanted $31 for 20 rounds! I just love how smooth the action is compared to some of my other old military rifles. Does anyone know where I might find .303 stripper clips?
  8. johnsxdm

johnsxdm New Member

Stripper clips are another easy find, E-Bay for sure or try Worldwarsupply.com or Libertytreecollectors.com
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  9. poboy6

poboy6 New Member

10. 2000ShadowACE

2000ShadowACE Member

Thanks for the tips. I just got 100 rounds from Sportsman's Guide and they seem like good quality rounds.
  11. A square 10

A square 10 New Member

to help you when looking , to those of us that collect these they are chargers not stripper clips , thats an american slang , if you can find radway green 303 its good ammo
  12. olafhardt

olafhardt Member

If you go over that rifle with a good magnifier you might find all kinds of marks. I went over a Hong Kong Police Enfield revolver with a magnifier and several things I thought were pits were proof marks, broad arrows, etc.