Another Gun I need help IDing

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Jeff Tea, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Jeff Tea

Jeff Tea New Member

This gun was used by my wife's grandfather in the Russia Army. I think it was made in the US though, and sold to the Russians. As the story goes her grandfather brought it to America when he emigrated here. Then gave it to her Father who recently passed away and left it to her. I think it is a .22 short. Rim fire, swing breach single shot design. No markings anywhere on the gun, (that I can find). Possibly a Frank Wesson?
    Any comments would be helpful. Not sure if the story is accurate.:)

Attached Files:

2. Jeff Tea

Jeff Tea New Member

I am new to this forum and I apologize in advance if I fail to post correctly. I can see by the other posts that closer pictures are really required in order to identify a gun. Please bear with me as I learn the proper etiquette.
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Jeff, and your photos are better than many posted here.

Anything's possible but I doubt it was ever outside the USA, as it looks exactly like those made 1860s by Bacon Mfg. Co. of Norwich, CT.

Some are also marked Merwin & Bray, a NY sporting goods dealer.

Unfortunately, the barrel is badly pitted and markings are likely gone.

It's just hard to picture a Russian soldier carrying such an impotent weapon, or that any would have been exported.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

There were several makers of almost identical guns in the U.S. Like hrf, I doubt it was made anywhere else or that it was ever used or adopted by any army. That does not mean a soldier might not have carried something like that for personal protection but even that seems extremely unlikely.

Jim