(Another) H&R Model 929 ID

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by vermontevan, Jun 22, 2011.

1. vermontevan

vermontevan New Member

I have the potential to acquire a very clean H&R Model 929.

The serial number is AN102227.

Other markings:
    on barrel Model 929
    22 CAL.
    under cylinder: H&R inc. gardener, mass u.s.a

i am no expert but i would guess it is in %90+ condition...

Looking around the forum it seems like a good gun that many people have fond memories of.

When was it made?
    What is the current retail value of it?
    Can I fire modern .22 lr in it? I am guessing yes since looking at other threads serials its probably late 60s, early 70's
    Are there any other calibers of .22 it can shoot? I have never had a .22 revolver before and don't know if it makes a difference.

Thank you in advance.:)
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

vermontevan,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Here's (another) response on your (potential acquisition) 929:
    >It was made in 1975. It is a 2nd Model (1974-1986) and should be equipped with the transfer bar safety/ignition system.
    >RETAIL value depends upon condition (obviously, duh!) and barrel length/frame type - standard issue - with 6" barrel is the most common, 4" is the most scarce, 2 1/2" is the second most common. In an honest 90% condition the "standard" is currently selling in the $125 - $150 range (on average). Add about $20 bucks for a 4" barrel. The 2.5" barrel seems to be very popular and you can add $25 for the snubby with the rounded butt. ( I like rounded butts).
    >Your piece can handle any factory loaded .22 rim fire round made today - short, long, long rifle; subsonic, standard, high speed, hyper velocity; even shot shells.
    >Your question concerning "other calibers of .22" is answered above.

Since you didn't post a picture and I like posting pics of my guns, I'm attaching a pic of a very early 929 simply because I think it is really cool.

IMG_1457_4.jpg
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jim, check your PM.
  4. vermontevan

vermontevan New Member

Many, many thanks for the info. More thanks for the welcome.

Should have specified a 4in barrel, factory black grips. light wear from holster, i couldn't post pics detailed enough to tell anything.

Were they originally sold with a leather holster?
  5. vermontevan

vermontevan New Member

(old) iphone takes shitty pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

evan,
    No holsters from the factory. A retailer may have added one as a package. That one looks like an older "HUNTER" type.
    4" barrel makes a nice trail gun. Black nylon grip panels are standard for the period of your gun.
    You are very welcome, glad to help out, tell your friends about us, come back often AND thanks for thanking.
  7. vermontevan

vermontevan New Member

I think that is what it was used for, a trail gun. if I get it comes with a 500+ rounds of .22lr LRN, and some loose .22 short and .22 lr CCI bird shot, seems like a good range of small game loadings.

The holster is stamped with the name of an old gun shop, as well as the model number and barrel length. Seems peculiar that the holster doesn't cove the trigger at all, no safety issue obviously, with a DA...
  8. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

It's an older design - '50s, '60s ??? It does seem a bit unsafe to have the trigger completely uncovered, especially for a "trail type" holster - catch a "wait a minute vine" in there, whatever. Nice piece - good ammo selection - let us know how it shoots!

p.s. The holster stamp from an old gun shop sounds like it may have been offered as a deal sweetner. Looks to be in pretty darn good shape.
  9. vermontevan

vermontevan New Member

Apparently the said stamped gunstore of origin, the san francisco gun exchange was legendary until the closed in 1999 foreseeing problems with CA hundguns laws.

Took the gun to the range, need to put some paint on the front site, a much more thorough cleaning, grip tightened. Can't give an honest report back until my second range visit.
  10. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

We're waiting!
  11. Jkernan

Jkernan New Member

My father just passed his 929 on to me today.

Two piece plastic grip, the right side of the barrel is stamped, "side kick". The serial # is T 9722. it is a 9 shot revolver and is easily +90 and has a barrel length of 1 7/8".

I would love to know the worth and age of this gun.
  12. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Age is 1957
  13. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Jkernan,
    Welcome to the forum.
    As RJay posted, 'T' prefix = 1957.
    The H&R Model 929 "SIDE KICK" was introduced in 1956 as the first H&R revolver with a swing-out cylinder (it was later followed by several other models, all based on the same design). You have an early example of the 1st Model (1956-1972) with a hammer mounted firing pin. 2nd Model was redesigned with a transfer bar safety/ignition system.
    The early examples of this model, with the 2 1/2" barrel will have a full sized squared grip frame (4" and 6" barrel). Your gun, if factory original, should have a barrel length of 2 1/2" as measured from the front of the cylinder face to the muzzle. If it is shorter than that, it may have been cut down from a longer barrel. Early barrels are round or slab sided.
    Confirm ID by checking out the attached pic.s of short barrel Model 930s, which is a 929 with a nickel finish.
    Value of your gun will depend upon condition and originality. A pic or two would be helpful.
    IMG_1494_3.jpg