another h&r top break question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jerry4570, Aug 27, 2009.

1. jerry4570

jerry4570 New Member

My first post to this forum, hello everyone. I've read all the posts by mr. Goforth that I could find and am amazed by his knowledge and look forward to his new book. I recently acquired a 38 s&w top break, nickel with mother of pearl stocks. the left of the barrel says auto ejecting 38 s&w ctge. the top of the barrel reads harrington & richardson arms co. worcester mass. usa. patented august 6, 1989 october 8, 1995 the serial # on the bottom of the grip frame is 234580 and repeated under the left grip. I have not removed the cylinder as I'm not sure how to, I dont know how much more information can be found from that #.
    I was convinced this revolver was made in the 60's because of its condition until I read that that was impossible and more likely it is nearly a hundred years old. I would just like enough information to find replacement parts, I've seen that they are available. the cylinder doesn't lock up tight because the hand doesn't maintain pressure to the cylinder against the cylinder lock, but if held against the lock it is aligned perfectly. thanks for any information you can lend.
  2. jerry4570

jerry4570 New Member

3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

sorry i have been out of pocket and not near my computer for about 48 hours.

this revolver is an H&R auto-ecting third model second variation manufactured 1909 to 1912 (most likely date would be 1912). parts supplies like numrich arms will called the model the H&R auto-ejecting new model. when ordering parts it is always best ot give the serial number and even send the old parts so they can more easly matched up. mother of pearl grips were a factory aption bet also offered in the after market. if the serial number is marked on the grips most likely they are factory it not they are most likely not.

AUTOMATIC EJECTING THIRD MODEL
    (SMOKELESS POWDER)-------------------------1905-1940
    Auto-ejecting mechanism, Calibers 32 S&W Long, 6 shot cylinder capacity, 38 S&W caliber 5 shot cylinder capacity, hard rubber grip panels with Target Logo, nickel finish (blue optional), barrel lengths of 2½ (rare), 3¼ (standard), 4, 5 & 6 inches available, top of barrel markings include company
    name and address and early production has patent dates, the one recognizable difference in the Second and Third Models is the caliber is marked on the left side of the barrel on the Third Model
    “IF IT HAS A CALIBER MARKED ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE BARREL THEN IT WAS MANUFACTURED FOR SMOKELESS POWDER”
    First Variation 4 patent dates (5-14 & 8-6-89, 4-2-95, 4-7-97) model name and caliber on left side of barrel-------1905-1908
    Second Variation 2 patent dates (8-6-89 and 10-8-95) model name and caliber on left side of barrel------1909-1912
    Third Variation no patent dates the name of the state is marked as MASS------1913-1915
    Fourth Variation no patent dates the state name of Massachusetts is spelled-----1916-1924
    Fifth Variation new grip frame, it is now the same size as the rest of the frame with no step down for the grip panel—1925-1941
    After 1931 listed in Catalogs as: AUTOMATIC EJECTING No. 10 .32 S&W LONG CALIBER 6 shots, After 1931 listed in Catalogs as; AUTOMATIC EJECTING No. 25 .38 S&W CALIBER 5 shots, After 1932 listed in Catalogs as: AUTOMATIC EJECTING No. 20..38 S&W CALIBER 5 shots.
    VALUE: 100%=$235 60%=$85 For all Auto-Ejecting 3rd Models; add 75% premium for 2½” barrel; add 25% for 4”, 5” & 6” barrels; add 15% for blue finish;

bill
  4. jerry4570

jerry4570 New Member

I cant thank you enough, I really just want to put this revolver back in operational condition because it is so nice, I dont think I will shoot something this old but I might load some really light wadcutter loads. thanks again bill.