1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Another H&R top break revolver question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Rut-N-Strut, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Rut-N-Strut

Rut-N-Strut New Member

I have an H&R top break 6 shot revolver that was from a great, great aunt. I believe it to be a .32 cal. It has patent numbers on the top of the barrel, and serial #'s as follows. Any info? It would be appreciated. I can add pics if needed. Looking more for info than value. Thanks, Preston Collins

PAT. OCT. 4, 87. MAY 14, & AUG. 6. 89. APRIL 2, 95. APRIL 7, 1896.
    CYLINDER AND EJECTOR HAS #375
    FRAME HAS #33375
    UNDER BARREL TOP BREAK HAS #D 33375
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Rut-N-Strut,
    Welcome to the forum.
    You have an H&R "AUTO EJECTING" 2nd Model, 5th Variation. With a 'D' letter prefix to the main serial number, it was made in 1899. It is a black powder only gun, but being made in '99 it is not a legal "antique".
    6 shooter means it is chambered for the .32 S&W and .32 H&R Long (obsolete) cartridges.
    Standard issue was Nickel plate with Blued trigger guard, 3 1/4" barrel and black hard rubber grips. Options were: blued finish (as on piece pictured - rare); 2.5", 4", 5" and 6" barrels; wooden, mother-of-pearl and ivory grip panels.
    IMG_1820_2.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg
  3. Rut-N-Strut

Rut-N-Strut New Member

Hi Jim, thanks for the info. I did find out that it is a .32 cal. This H&R is blued and has a 5" barrel. It has some light pitting all over, like above the grip in your pic. It also has a bad trigger spring, Would it be worth getting a gunsmith to fix that? Thank you for all the info. Preston Collins
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Preston,
    You're welcome, glad to help out - AND - thanks for thanking.
    With the 5" barrel (scarce) and the blued finish (rare - probably because the blued rusted much more quickly and far fewer were made back THEN) your piece is a fine, collectible example - don't see too many in that configuration.
    "Bad trigger spring" - ??? - do you mean the trigger does not reset? If it's the main spring (which activates the hammer) it is a DIY project. If it is the trigger return spring - it takes a bit of skill and the correct tools to do the job. 45AUTO (member and contributor) has posted a series of photos (do a search) on trigger guards and trigger mechanisms that have been removed. That job is beyond MY personal poor mechanical skills.
    It may be difficult to find a gunsmith willing to work on these OLD guns. Check around your area, ask local gunshops for recommendations - you probably need to find a "old guy" smith to work on it. If it becomes too much of a project - just collect it and enjoy it for what it's worth.
    IMG_1822_2.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  5. Rut-N-Strut

Rut-N-Strut New Member

hi Jim, The main spring activating the hammer is ok, the trigger does not reset. I have someone I may be able to call on it. Thanks again, Preston Collins