Another H&R top break revolver question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Rut-N-Strut, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Rut-N-Strut

Rut-N-Strut New Member

I have an H&R top break 6 shot revolver that was from a great, great aunt. I believe it to be a .32 cal. It has patent numbers on the top of the barrel, and serial #'s as follows. Any info? It would be appreciated. I can add pics if needed. Looking more for info than value. Thanks, Preston Collins

PAT. OCT. 4, 87. MAY 14, & AUG. 6. 89. APRIL 2, 95. APRIL 7, 1896.
    CYLINDER AND EJECTOR HAS #375
    FRAME HAS #33375
    UNDER BARREL TOP BREAK HAS #D 33375
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Rut-N-Strut,
    Welcome to the forum.
    You have an H&R "AUTO EJECTING" 2nd Model, 5th Variation. With a 'D' letter prefix to the main serial number, it was made in 1899. It is a black powder only gun, but being made in '99 it is not a legal "antique".
    6 shooter means it is chambered for the .32 S&W and .32 H&R Long (obsolete) cartridges.
    Standard issue was Nickel plate with Blued trigger guard, 3 1/4" barrel and black hard rubber grips. Options were: blued finish (as on piece pictured - rare); 2.5", 4", 5" and 6" barrels; wooden, mother-of-pearl and ivory grip panels.
    IMG_1820_2.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg
  3. Rut-N-Strut

Rut-N-Strut New Member

Hi Jim, thanks for the info. I did find out that it is a .32 cal. This H&R is blued and has a 5" barrel. It has some light pitting all over, like above the grip in your pic. It also has a bad trigger spring, Would it be worth getting a gunsmith to fix that? Thank you for all the info. Preston Collins
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Preston,
    You're welcome, glad to help out - AND - thanks for thanking.
    With the 5" barrel (scarce) and the blued finish (rare - probably because the blued rusted much more quickly and far fewer were made back THEN) your piece is a fine, collectible example - don't see too many in that configuration.
    "Bad trigger spring" - ??? - do you mean the trigger does not reset? If it's the main spring (which activates the hammer) it is a DIY project. If it is the trigger return spring - it takes a bit of skill and the correct tools to do the job. 45AUTO (member and contributor) has posted a series of photos (do a search) on trigger guards and trigger mechanisms that have been removed. That job is beyond MY personal poor mechanical skills.
    It may be difficult to find a gunsmith willing to work on these OLD guns. Check around your area, ask local gunshops for recommendations - you probably need to find a "old guy" smith to work on it. If it becomes too much of a project - just collect it and enjoy it for what it's worth.
    IMG_1822_2.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  5. Rut-N-Strut

Rut-N-Strut New Member

hi Jim, The main spring activating the hammer is ok, the trigger does not reset. I have someone I may be able to call on it. Thanks again, Preston Collins