another help me identify

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by hash, Dec 29, 2011.

1. hash

hash New Member

Hello everybody I'm new to the forums, gotta say its a wonderful site. But I'm here today to get help in identifying this percussion cap rifle. It has a total length of about 39 in a barrel length of 25.5 in octagonal exterior with a 6 groove rifling. I dont know where the rifle came from as it was purchased at a garage sale by my father in law. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

any visiable markings on the metal?
  3. hash

hash New Member

No marking or stamps on the metal or wood of any kind. I've completly disassembled it in search before I posted.
  4. hash

hash New Member

Off topic question u live by odu in va?
  5. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

odu? University no
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  6. DesertRose

DesertRose New Member

Looks like someone was attempting a restoration process a la "Mountain Rifle". Have you tried miking the bore to see what caliber it is? Can you take a shot of the opposite side to show the hammer better?

The ramrod is not long enough by the way.
  7. dustydog

dustydog New Member

By the off side screw plate for the lock (one screw passing thru to the lockplate)and the type of serrations on the hammer,an old Markwell Arms rifle that someone cut the barrel back about 6".Wood in the stock and the sheetmetal nosecap look like one I had a couple of years ago.
  8. dustydog

dustydog New Member

Oh,by the way,can be pretty sure of this if you take the lock out of the stock and post a picture of the inside of the lock and the mortice in the wood where it fits.
  9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum hash
  10. hash

hash New Member

@little rooster yes old dominion university in va, i was aking because i used to live out there

@desertrose yes i know the ramrod is nowhere near long enough, and from paper shading of the barrel ive figured it to be around a .50 cal, and if the previous owners tried to do restoration work on it im not sure but i know my father in law hadnt, its been sitting by a water heater in the garage for 15+ years.

@dustydog i dont belive its been cut, theres no marring at the end and its still slightly rounded not squared, although i could be wrong.

@beth thanks for the welcome

for those pics ill try and get them up soon ive just been a bit busy, and the infantry in me might have messed up, when i first found the rifle it had flaky rust on the barrel and was scratched down to the steel. ive cleaned it off and am looking to re patina it properly any suggestions
  11. dustydog

dustydog New Member

saltwater rust browning,followed by hot oil,followed by beeswax.Curious,noticed you referrenced ODU,Are you in Virginia?
  12. hash

hash New Member

No I no longer live in va. I lived in norfolk from 00-04 and moved to richmond till 07 when I joined the army. I'm out now and live in ca.
  13. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

nice rifle. I have the same problem, I want to clean them up and do a terrable job messing up the patina