Another interesting web site

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Guest: Another interesting web site
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Found another interesting web site,,,some of you probably already know about it,,,plus it has a link at the bottom to the Vietnam Vets With a Mission home page. they have a very good site, plus they seem do be doing some good work.
    anyway, this site shows some statistics dispelling many myths and mis-conceptions about the war,,

www.deanza.fhda.edu/facul...tml#Myth#1

just passing it on for what it is worth to you all

Guest: Web site
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For the most part, the 75-80% who never saw combat of any sort led lives comparable to, if not better than, stateside duty. In fact, it is little understood that there were a significant number of perks associated with combat zone duty not available to assignments elsewhere in the world.

This is a quote from the site. Note the "combat of any sort".

My basecamp (Tay Ninh West) and Dau Tieng (for another example) were CONTINUALLY catching rockets, mortars, sappers (at night, of course).

There were A LOT of men (and women) at that base camp. Does mortars, rockets not count as combat? (of any sort).

Or does this mean I was just 'lucky'?

:)

Guest Re: Web site
    I believe (but not certain) he means those "infantry types" actually out in the bush,,as opposed to all the rest of the troops,,,
    I did not mean to imply I agreed with everything he states there,,just that I found his observations and conclusions interesting
    I have always held that statistics can be used to prove, or disprove, what ever you want them to,,

as I said on the first post,,take this for what it is worth,,

106RR196LIB
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/15/01 4:31:06 pm)
    | Del web site
    This web site is an amalgam of reality and BS. It generally is non academic. Myths, legends, personal opinion, insults and statistics are given equal weight in this web site. It is clearly anti American when it mentions the "coarse, boorish and arrogant" attitude of Americans. This is the worst kind if propaganda.
    The author has no working knowledge of a combat unit and little understanding of war.
    Mike

Re: web site
    no intention of staring an arguement here, but the author's bio did indicate a tour in country as a machine gunner with the 101st,,also, I don't think a person needs to have been in combat to quote facts (or opinions),,, plus, his bibliography did reflect extensive research. I NEVER believe just one source, but when I read the same basic information in a variety of sources, I tend to give some credence to the data. His opinions almost echo those of Burkett in Stolen Valor. I believe they garnered information from some of the same sources.

as to the idea that calling Americans "coarse, boorish and arrogant" is unpatriotic, that is a VERY commonly held opinion in many, many overseas countries. ,, as the English said during WWII; "there is only 3 things wrong with Americans; they are over-paid, they are over-sexed, and they are over here."

I have travelled in 38 countries around this big world, and I have witnessed many Americans acting "coarse, boorish and arrogant". I hope this does not make me unpatriotic.

berto64

Yea,
    What Hawk said!

berto

Endeaver to Persevere

Yes Hawk. Unfortunately I have found that to be the case as well. Mike, I don't think that is propaganda, it's just the way things are.

NickG

Re: Another interesting web site
    I went back through it and had to modify my original stance.

All of the statistical stuff is probably true. Including the PERCENTAGE of troops seeing combat on a regular basis. This is probably a low figure. There were a LOT of people in Cu Chi. Other than actual infantry, who else had a bad time in Cu Chi (after 1966)?

Same would GENERALLY be true of other large base camps.

BUT when it comes to "...my observations..." then we have to part company. MY observations would be different than his observations. III Corps was different than I Corps or IV Corps.

I think it is very safe to say that experiences in Vietnam would be different based on WHERE you were and WHEN you were. Just as Platoon, the movie, is NOT the experience of every infantryman in Vietnam, neither is Hamburger Hill, nor is Full Metal Jacket the experience of every Marine.

As we have learned here, everyone saw Vietnam from a fairly unique way, and OUR experience is not necessarily that of anyone else.

So there :)

588th Engineers Class of 1968

8ball,,,could not agree more,,,,

hope6970
    guys, I do have to take a few exceptions as to what this guys is trying to get across.

I spent 2 years stateside before going toNam. Pulling duty in Nam, to me was no way like pulling duty stateside. At least I didn't lay in my bunk in the states and about get blowed out of it by a rocket.

As for all the other items he brings up, I am not so sure we were in the same Nam that he was. Yes, I guess everyone has their own take on the that time in their lives but he would have one thinking they dreamed everything that happened.

I wonder how many more people just like him around that thinks like he does?

Needless to say nighthawk, you posted a good one. - Hope

berto64

In my time in Vietnam, I'm pretty sure I was boorish, loud,
    and not a nice person, but when I sobered up I tried to be nice.
    Saw a lot of younger troops being arrogant and a**holes, not a pretty sight.
    Most of us weren't too bad, tho, the civilian population let us live.

berto

Endeaver to Persevere