The Firearms Forum banner

Another Iver Johnson Question

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Gabob 
#1 ·
Several years ago my grandmother gave me a gun that belonged to my grandfather. It is the first pistol I ever shot 30 years ago with him. I'd like confirmation that it is a third generation and a year made if possible.

Details:
32 S&W
3" barrel
Nickel plate I'd say over 90% ( nice I think)
Owl looking down grip
On Barrel: * IVERS JOHNSON'S ARMS AND CYCLE WORKS *
* FITCHBURG MASS U.S.A . *
Serial on trigger guard: 67638
Serial under Grip: G67638
4 pins abover trigger guard.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Pics are in my album, I'll try to link.

#5 ·
It functions very well. Works perfect. Accuracy is a little suspect, I am more accurate at 20 feet throwing darts.... :eek:

I bought shells for it about 10 years ago when I first got it. The only ones I could find were Remington. Have several fail to fire. Seemed to be a good strike on primer, but no boom. Some times restriking works. Bad ammo or gun?

It is really in remarkable shape for 90 years old. I have taken it out to shoot a couple times with my brothers. Means a lot so I don't wanna break it. Worth a million to me.

#6 ·
You may have a problem with excessive head space; which in really simple language is that there is too much total space between the rear face of the cylinder and the recoil plate of the frame.

This possible excessive space or play or slop will on occasion allow the firing pin to strike the primer, but if the cylinder is rearward then the whole cylinder gets driven forward somewhat cushioning the sharpness of the strike on the primer. A misfire is the result.

All in all this revolver is a relic of a bygone era, more than being a weapon, today. Unless one is a hobbyist who can do the work, it really is not worth fixing.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate that.

It is good enough as it is. Mostly a conversation piece. Certain objects can define our parents and grandparents, and for my Grandpa it was his 12 gauge Stevens double (which I have), his early 70's Zebco 33 (which I have) and this inexpensive handgun. All are priceless to me and produce smiles on my face that last a lifetime. ;)

#8 ·
On rare occasions you can find a washer thin enough to place forward of the cylinder to correct headspace but in most cases one has to be made, however firearm modification is never recomended unless having some experience with gunsmithing and knowledge critical timing and so on. As Hammerslagger said, it's more a relic than a weapon. Best advice, retire it.

#9 ·
On rare occasions you can find a washer thin enough to place forward of the cylinder to correct headspace but in most cases one has to be made, however firearm modification is never recomended unless having some experience with gunsmithing and knowledge critical timing and so on. As Hammerslagger said, it's more a relic than a weapon. Best advice, retire it.
Brownell's sells or did at one time sell headspace washers for revolvers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.