The Firearms Forum banner

Another Iver Johnson Question

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  b.goforth 
#1 ·
I have a few questions about an IJ revolver that I just inherited. I was wondering what year it was manufactured and what caliber it might be. My dad insists that it is a 32 but from what I've been reading, I'm not sure if it might be a 38. I do not plan on firing this pistol I'm just curious. Anyway, this is the information that I've found on the pistol:

Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works
Fitchburg Mass, U.S.A.
This is stamped on the top of the barrel.

Serial Number 44937 is stamped on the bottom side of the top strap and the bottom of the trigger guard. It is also on the left grip frame with either a K or R before it. I can't quite make it out.

On the bottom of the butt there are 5 patent dates: 4-6-86, 2-15-87, 5-10-87, 3-13-88, 8-25-96

Any information is greatly appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
is this a hammer or hammerless model.

small frame 32 S&W caliber second model safety automatic hammerless revolver serial number K44937 was manufactured in 1904

large frame 38 S&W caliber second model safety automatic hammer revolver serial number R44937 was manufactured in 1905.

both of these have the 5 patent dates on the bottom of the butt. standard barrel for small frame 32 is 3 inches and 3 1/4 inches for the large frame 38.

SECOND MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
(Black Powder Cartridges)------------1896-1908
LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch, nickel finish standard, blue optional, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top. Hammer the Hammer action, two frame sizes, and three calibers. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .38 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame with 3 inch barrel .22 rimfire 12 ounces, .32 centerfire 12 ¼ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 17¼ ounces; Frame height: small frame 3 ¼ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/26 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Only difference between the first and second model is the barrel latch. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Second Model features a double top post barrel latch, flat leaf hammer spring and two cross pins in the lower frame.
VALUE: 100%=$275 60%=$135
For revolvers equipped with Bourne Knuckleduster add 100%

SECOND MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMERLESS REVOLVER
(Black Powder Cartridges)------------- -–1896-1908
LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch, Hammer the Hammer action, nickel finish with blue optional, two frame sizes and three calibers. Hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Weight: small frame with 3 inch barrel .22 rimfire 12 ½ ounces, .32 centerfire 13 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 17 ¾ ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall all length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Second Model features a double top post barrel latch, flat leaf hammer spring and two cross pins in the lower frame.
VALUE: 100%=$285 60%=$150
For revolvers equipped with Bourne Knuckleduster add 100%

bill

#3 ·
Thank you for the information.

Since I posted the first time, I inherited yet another one. These were my grandfather's that he carried while working in Detroit. Apparently you needed protection even back in the day. I measured the barrels on them they are both exactly 3 inches and both have exposed hammers. The second pistol has everything stamped on the top of the barrel. It has Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works, Fitchburg Mass. USA and four patent dates: 4-6-86, 2-15-87, 5-10-87, 8-25-96. The serial number is I believe an A 90225.

#7 · (Edited)
I have what I have always thought was an Iver Johnson top-break Safety Automatic Double-Action revolver; however, it does not have any manufacturer's name on the gun. Additionally, there are absolutely no markings, other than what appears to be a serial number on the bottom of the trigger guard (20473). It is a bouble top post latch, heavy nickel finish, and has two cross pins in the lower frame. Actually, it appears in every respect to be like the photo in the Standard Catalog of Firearms (page 607), but the barrel is exactly 1.75 inches from the tip to the cylinder. It does not have the original grips and there is a small hole in the but of the handle.
(I would post a photograph, but I can't figure out how to do that. Any help?

#8 ·
the shortest iver johnson factory barrel length was 2 inches (exactally). this sound like a revolver that has had the barrel cutoff and lost its markings. only a picture will be of use to identify. if you remove the grips there most likely will be a serial number on the left side of the frame under the grip panels.

bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.