Another Ivler Johnson

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Platinos2, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Platinos2

Platinos2 New Member

Recently received a gun from my mother that was my deceased fathers.

I don't know much about it and would like as much info as I can get!!

[​IMG]

iverjohnsoncollector.com diagram numbers/locations

1. *IVLER JOHNSON'S ARMS & CYCLE WORKS*
    -FITCHBURG MASS, USA-

2. nothing

3. nothing

4. nothing

5. 4
    [​IMG]

5A. nothing

6. H? 45209
    [​IMG]

7. Looks like an I or H
    [​IMG]

8. 45209
    [​IMG]

also there is a 09 on the cylinder as seen in this picture
    [​IMG]

anything I need to do to keep this legally? I do not own any other guns yet
    I live in NJ

any help is appreciated!!

thanks
    dave
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  2. Twaits

Twaits Member

That 4 on the triggerguard is a little strange. I've seen the serial numbers on the triggerguards before, but it looks like they started to stamp it there but didn't finish it. I'm sure Bill Goforth will be along to give you all the info you need.
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i am going to go out on a limb and say this is a second model hammerless that has been back to the factory for refinishing. although i have never seen one marked this way before. small frame 32 S&W caliber safety automatic hammerless revolver serial number H 45209 was manufactured in 1903.

i am basing this on the fact that the numbering on the bottom of the grip is stamped over the normal patent date stamping and the numbers are different. why they chose to put the full nember there i do not have an explaintion.

SECOND MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMERLESS REVOLVER
    (Black Powder Cartridges)------------- -–1896-1908
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch, Hammer the Hammer action, nickel finish with blue optional, two frame sizes and three calibers. Hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Weight: small frame with 3 inch barrel .22 rimfire 12 ½ ounces, .32 centerfire 13 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 17 ¾ ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall all length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Second Model features a double top post barrel latch, flat leaf hammer spring and two cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$285 60%=$150
    For revolvers equipped with Bourne Knuckleduster add 100%

bill
  4. mark_baron

mark_baron New Member

OK Dave, not to totally scare you but, you are probably in violation of a few Peoples Republik of New Jersey laws already (since you don't own any guns currently and it is "OMG" a handgun that is probably 2 right there).

I'm sure someone on this forum is familiar with the current laws and can give you advice. Good luck.

Former Jersey boy,
    Exit 153
    Mark