Another M44 headspace question

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

NuclearMeltdown
    (2/25/03 8:16:53 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Another M44 headspace question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm new here...hope this works

I recently came across a 1946 Ishevsk manufactured M44. The bolt matches, but the floorplate doesn't. It had the usual cosmoline, and appeared to be unissued/excellent or an arsenal rework.

So the question is: with the matching bolt number in consideration, is it worth it to order a headspace measuring gage? If so, would the best option be no-go, field, or the go gage?

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/25/03 8:55:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Another M44 headspace question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It should be cheaper to have your local gunsmith check the headspace. Can be done while you wait.

NuclearMeltdown
    (2/25/03 9:36:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del ...
    Thanks...now the problem is finding a gunsmith around here...

Any ammo suggestions? Most of what I have seen is corrosive stuff in green lacquered cases left over from the Cold War. Norma is expensive... This Wolf brand stuff seems like the best choice. Are there problems with the lacquer coating?

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/25/03 10:53:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: ...
    If your 'smith gives the thumbs up on the headspacing, the lacquered cases won't be a problem. The Wolf brand ammo has been known to have quality control problems. Sometimes the primers get installed backward and sometimes sideways. Seller & Belloit will be a better choice at a slightly higher price.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/26/03 8:39:59 am)
    The one thing to remember with the laquer covered cases is to clean your chamber thoroughly after use - the laquer will tend to build up in there.

Welcome to the forums!

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/26/03 10:38:07 am)
    Hmm, I must be in the minority here, but I think it's worth the investment to buy a field gauge. Especially if you plan to buy more Mosins in the future. Paying a smitty to check it may be cheaper initially, I don't know. But the gauge only costs $18. And as you shoot that gun more and more, you'll want to recheck the headspace to make sure it's still within spec.

Traditional headspace gauges for 7.62x54R require removal of the extractor from the bolt head. It is difficult to do on a Mosin, and most people end up bending or breaking the extractor trying to get it out.

I suggest the "coin style" field gauge from Yankee Engineers. No extractor removal is required. You just slip it on the bolt head (it has a cutout for the extractor) and see if the bolt closes. If the bolt does close, then you have excessive headspace. If not, then you're OK.

The website is hometown.aol.com/yankeng/...iness.html
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

NuclearMeltdown
    (2/26/03 4:11:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Which gauge?
    Does Wolf brand have corrosive primers?

Which is the gauge choice...no-go or field? I've heard suggestions for both.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/26/03 4:35:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Which gauge?
    Wolf is non-corrosive.

Go with the field gauge. The NOGO gauge is only for the initial headspace setting at the arsenal. It is not meant to be the ultimate headspace gauge for field use.

In other words, when the arsenal sets the barrel, they make sure that the headspace is between the GO and NOGO gauges. Once the rifle goes into service, the field gauge is the one to use. Anybody who refuses to buy a rifle just because it fails the NOGO gauge is being way too conservative. And they're probably missing out on a lot of good rifles too.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

NuclearMeltdown
    (2/27/03 5:20:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del I'm set to go
    Thanks guys...I think I'll be ready to fire here soon.