Another Marlin 60

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by mr.t7024, Oct 24, 2012.

1. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Mine are not finicky eaters either, won't take the .45's though.
    They used the gold trigger on certain additions as well as other odds and ends. I have an addition that was sold only through Big 5 Sporting Goods for a couple years. It has the gold trigger and stainless bolt and it's marked as a model 600 rather than 60. It also came with a scope but I had to put a different one on it, the scope was junk.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  2. CharlesV

CharlesV New Member

Im yet another happy 60 owner who had a 10/22 collecting dust and here is why it got dusty. I cant fault Ruger, i have had them all along. But the 10/22 seemed to twitch or twist everytime it was fired and i hated that. The 60 is solid and a complete pleasure, even the stock trigger which is often the first thing modified.

Though I like the stock it came with, id like to extend it an inch or two. How can i do that, buy a large 12G recoil pad and cut it to size? Or else what can be added to the butt?
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Good deal on the Marlin!
    My Marlin model 60 is a fineeeeeeeeeee shooter!
  4. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

An inch or two? That would be pretty dramatic from the stock 13 3/4 already there. Or has it been changed? Generaly 5/8 of an inch is a very noticable difference in the pull and that can be achieved easiest with a slip-on recoil pad.
    The most I've ever added was 1 1/2" and that was because some stubby character had previously cut it down to 12". I had to make an extention out of wood (about 3/4+) then found a good slip-on pad to cover it, which also added another 5/8 to the pull.
    You'll notice how short the stock was in the first pic compared to my refinish result. From 12" to a 13 1/2" pull. This is a Decelerater pad by Pachmayr.

Attached Files:

5. CharlesV

CharlesV New Member

Its difficult to measure the need. Im comparing to another rifle i have that fits very well and then estimating. If I try an inch it might be enough. Using my 870 butt as a guide i cant see how a standard shotgun recoil pad would work on the 60 but maybe im wrong? If so, that might be perfect.

The way i see it, .22s in general assume a young first time user who needs a shorter stock and thats what you get with a 60. Its a small matter but everytime im out i instinctively believe the stock is going to be long enough and then its always, oh, this is a little short....
  6. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Thanks big shrek I will have my son take the pic:) Cliff
  7. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Slip-on recoil pad from Walmart.
    Had to do that with my Wifey's rifles...her shoulders won't take a beating after several surgeries...

I'm 6'3, due to that I make myself fit rifles...rarely have to mod 'em for myself...
    lean forwards & pull it in snug to the shoulder :)
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012