Another Marlin model 60 problem

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by pinecone70, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Mike U.

Mike U. New Member

right in the middle of the Sunshine State!
    Very interesting as I've not had that particular issue with my 60. In fact, this is the first time I've even heard of this!:eek:
    I will keep it in mind though in case it ever becomes an issue with my 60. Thanks for sharing it.:)
  2. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Another issue I recently heard of with the 60 (I haven't experienced this so far) is that the dirtier ammo will cause a lot of buildup around the little spring-loaded ramp under the action. The ramp, over time (supposedly) will wear itself out and you'll experience failures to feed. At that point, that little ramp must be replaced, as it's made of cheap pot metal... This is especially pronounced with dirtier ammo according to my source.

The 60 has no way of getting all that garbage out of the action except for a thorough cleaning, unlike the 10/22 where the crud falls out when the magazine is removed. For the record, I've seen no difference in feeding with any type of ammo in my 60, only that the bulk stuff often fails to fire and requires cleaning more often... I've never tried Truncated Cone hollow points, and don't intend to ever try them. Often times, people use Truncated Cone hollowpoint ammo as their first attempt with hollowpoints in a .22, and a LOT of .22 auto-loaders absolutely hate those. Hollowpoint ammo such as CCI MiniMags, etc, which have a more rounded point have fed no differently than simple round nose in all of the .22s I've ever fired or owned.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  3. 45nut

45nut Active Member

My 60 works great with the cheap stuff with only an occasional FTF or jam. It is accurate with all of the cheap stuff. I clean it and let it dry and shoot it hard the next time out.
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

This one seems to just behave badly after about three tubes full of shells, no matter what type/brand. All I can think is that this rifle wasn't really made for plinking, and I like plinking.
  5. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

The guy I mentioned above has seen the same problem in 60s and replaced this part for a perfectly-functioning rifle. I'm not saying it's definitely your problem but it's worth checking the part out...
  6. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Thanks, I wonder if that might have something to do with it. Seems like good logic, the wearing out of parts.

Hmm, post got moved, it was really about the actual gun, not ammo!
  7. army mp

army mp Member

8. army mp

army mp Member

I had a marlin 60 a few years back, it would fire almost anything, but like most auto loaders it jams with a little fouling, I would pull the trigger group and spay it down with Tetra Action blaster, let it dry .then spray with a lite coat of WD-40 I have used WD-40 for years on my Autos, the heaver oils will speed up gumming.
  9. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I agree with Army on the WD-40.
    One of my favorite rifles is my Glenfield/Marlin mod 60. I don't think you're seeing leading. I think you're seeing powder fouling. I know people who shoot 22's competitively with plain lead (not copper washed) bullets & they never ever clean out their barrels. They just clean the action & get great accuracy.

The mod 60 needs to have the stock removed (one bolt) & the 4 screws that hold the action onto the reciever taken out. Use a toothbrush & WD-40 to get all the powder fouling off all the areas of the action. Take the bolt out & wipe it down & clean out the area inside the receiver where the bolt rides. Also make sure the bolt spring is clean. Use WD-40 everywhere you can. Regular gun oils are way too thick & cause too much friction in this gun. Don't listen to those who say WD-40 is not a lubricant-it says "lubricates" right on the can. As has been said You want to avoid building up powder fouling crud & WD is the best I've found in this gun. You should be able to shoot any 40 grain ammo however cheap if your gun action is clean & your bolt is sliding freely. The only ammo mine hasn't loaded well is the old "truncated" shaped bullet. HPs shpould be no problem.

"duds" are usually caused by light primer hits in dirty guns.
  10. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I bought a Marlin Model 80, bolt action 22 when I was in High School via mail order (that should tell you how old it is). It has always functioned perfectly and is more accurate than I am. I dressed it up with a 2-7 Redfield scope designed for a centerfire rifle and after a couple pump 22 rifles which I have traded off it is the only 22 rifle I own. In short buy a 22 rifle that is reliable and you shoot well and don't worry about any others as I doubt if you can wear it out.
  11. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I think I will take it apart again and get some WD-40 to try. The last time I had it apart, I bent the recoil spring a little, which was annoying but it still works fine. Difficult to get that back in. I plan to refinish the stock because it's chipping, and I think those squirrels would look so much better with Tru-Oil on them anyway. We'll see what happens, if I don't get better behavior out of it, it's definitely getting traded off in the spring, it's the only gun I have that I am not really attached to.