ANOTHER micro 9mm

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by CampingJosh, Feb 8, 2011.

1. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

We've seen a lot of them come out recently, most notably the Ruger LC9. But I stumbled across another one today, and I'm significantly more excited about it. It's the SIG Sauer P290, and it is actually smaller (.5" length, .6" height less) than the Ruger.

This new SIG isn't actually too much larger than the Kel-tec P3AT that I pocket carry all the time. It's .3" longer and .4" taller, so I guess it pretty well splits the difference.

Anyway, is there any excitement left in the shooting community for another micro 9mm pistol? Does anyone care anymore?
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Its almost like they are computers. More changes, updates, designs. You get the newest one and bam new one is out. Here's another small 9mm to add to your list. Kimber Solo. One of Kimbers first striker fired 9mm. Very nice and I'm not much for striker fired guns.
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

You will see this trend continue, now that high-capacity is a bad word.
  4. chubcobear

chubcobear New Member

You will see this continue also because there are more and more "shall issue" states. Concealed carry is a trend. Smaller pistols are easier to carry in the pocket, etc. More to come!
  5. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

That raised portion in the trigger housing is going to pinch a lot of fingers. Why do something like that? That's just dumb.

It doesn't appear to have a manual safety. Holy crap! They finally get it!!!
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  6. wingspar

wingspar Member

Nutnfancy stopped at the Sig booth at the SHOT show, and did a quick look at the Sig P290. He gave it a thumbs down. Look up his video on it if interested. I don’t get that raised part in the trigger guard either.
  7. noylj

noylj New Member

The raised portion is explicitly designed to keep your finger from being pinched. People who put their finger low on the trigger will be pinched in that area if there isn't a raised portion.
  8. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

Walther did a similar thing, and it was a mistake.

I'm thinking it would impinge on some shooters' fingers on the return travel of the trigger after firing a shot.

It may work awesome. I don't know. It just doesn't look like a good idea.

Other than that, it looks like it'd be a good gun, except for the weight of it (according to Nutnfancy's video review).
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Micro 9 mm 's ?/

i thought these where the micro's

Attached Files:

10. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Active Member

Yikes! What is that?:eek:
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I stopped by my local gun shop on the way to work yesterday afternoon. He had just gotten in one of the new Sig Sauer P290s, so I got to handle it. It is just a little bit bigger than the P238 (.380). Just for the few minutes I got to hold it, I decided that I did not care too much for it. I can't put my finger on exactly what it was I didn't like, though.

The pistol seemed kind of "clunky" and sort of top heavy or something and the grips on that one were downright ugly. It had a kind of "logo" on it that said something like - First Edition P290.

Here is a link to the Sig web site: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p290.aspx

The last picture shows the grip panel out of the frame so if the grip panels are interchangeable, that might help the looks of it, but it was still "clunky" feeling to me!! He said that his selling price was something like $659 but if I wanted one, he would let me have it for $575. I think I will pass on the ugly thing!!
  12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I visited a few of the gun stores in Savannah yesterday, just looking around. Spent some time checking out the Ruger LC9 and while the size is appealing I didn't like the feel of it very much. I've not heard much positive about the Sig 290 so I think the king of the small 9's remains the Kahr PM9 (unless you can afford a Rohrbaugh)...