Another Mini 14 question

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by lonewolf204, Feb 20, 2012.

1. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

What's yawls opinion in the accuracy difference between the mini 14 and the mini 14 target. Both guns with no up grades.
  2. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

I don't think the Mini was meant to be a table top benchrest rifle. But... well I've heard the standard Ranch rifle getting 2" @ 100 yards. Ruger claims the new Target model Mini is capable of 1 MOA. Sucks that Minis have this stigma of being inaccurate. And with how much the new price tags are, for a couple hundred more, you're in AR15 territory.
  3. al45lc

al45lc New Member

On this topic of Mini-14 accuracy, I've owned several (not target models) and none have been accurate compared to other semi's that I own in that caliber.
    I also frequent another forum that's motorcycle related with a number of shooters there, and many have laid claim to Mini's being VERY accurate!
    Perhaps their and my definition of accuracy is different, but if a 'service type' rifle won't hold 1.5MOA with good factory ammo, it's not accurate IMO.
    My HK does .75, and I've seen AR types do the same, so I don't think I'm unrealistic.
    I made several attempts to get a Mini Ranch to shoot well, spent time and money for naught, as I couldn't get the damn thing to do better than 2", with over a dozen loads.
    In my experience, it's a small number of Mini's out there that can shoot to Mil-spec, and since that's what it's based on, I wouldn't call them accurate.
    Better off with an AR type, if you ask me.
  4. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

The new Mini Targets are great shooters. There still is the typical "Walk" that the Mini's are known for after they heat up but as far as accuracy goes they hold tighter groups
  5. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Mini-14 and accuracy, in the same sentence? Lol. All depends on a person's interpretation of accuracy, I guess.
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

The only real difference is the harmonic balancer at the end of the barrel, they are still suseptable to heat like the ranch rifles.
  7. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

I know a very nice fella who shoots pretty fair groups with all his .223's except his Ranch Rifle. Doubt if he would buy another with so many good shooters available. Considering the mini carries the Ruger name it's a real shame!