Another minor issue...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Horsky1911, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Horsky1911

Horsky1911 New Member

Was hand priming some brass and a primer flipped. How does one remove a primer that is upside down... Never had this happen before. Thanks in advance.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

stick it in the resizing die and dont look at it while you pull the press handle. Just put it on the shell holder and look away until it pops out. I have never had one go off but if it did it would be pretty loud and might spray flames at you. As long as you pull the handle slow and steady it should pop out pretty easily and harmlessly. Dont try to reuse the primer, throw it away...
  3. res45

res45 Member

As stated just run the brass back through the resizing die,just go slow and easy,most time the pressure will pop the primer out before the pin even hits it,wear safety glass if you feel the need to. I've never had one go off I reuse the primer to no sense throwing away a good primer,mine always went bang.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

my "anal retentive as usual" approach to this :

Primer is .04 - not worth even a billon to one chance for me to take if it does go off or to put into a loaded round and have it misfire. I do agree that it will most always function if loaded up, but .04 just aint worth it to me.

Spray the primer with a small shot of WD, THEN punch out with resize die after a min or two. Toss primer and clean case of any residue. I also do NOT keep WD within 10' of my bench. I spray well away from any reloading equipment.

I don't put my faith into WD killing 100% of the primers either, I still ensure I've got glasses on and pull it SLOOW and steady.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  5. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

+1 woolley worm. I've run them back through the die safely before, but was super slow and gentle about it. Should it happen again though I will deactivate it with some RP as wooley worm mentioned. I've heard horror stories about people pressing live ones out and having them go off, wouldn't want to find out the merits to the stories personally.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Over the last 35 years, I have probably done 1000 just like JLA says and have never had one go off.
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

ok, this may be being a bit of an A-retentive butthead here, but 1000 primers at lets say .025 a piece average over the last decade. If the next one just does happen to go off by chance; I'd say that was $25 very poorly spent. I have witnessed live primers punched out on several occasions, be it they were in flipped, sideways, crushed or whatever and have never seen one go off yet. Seen and heard plenty of pics and stories online when one did though. Just not worth it IMO, I'm more than happy to pay an extra 2-3 bucks a year on wasted primers for safety's sake. I think I've tossed 5 or 6 this year, so safety has cost me about a quarter so far.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

All I can say if one doesn't want to punch them out, then they don't have to. I do.
  9. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

I don't get many loaded backwards but all the ones I have done as stated by others, just slowly remove with the resize die. Have never had a problem removing them. Just take care and go slow and of course wear ear and eye protection. I realize the monitary gain is infestimal but with a 100% success rate don't see why not removing and re-using them. Of course its your call.:)
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

i like the safety aspect, better safe than sorry. But then again following the rules never really appealed to me much to be quite honest...;)
  11. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

ive taken primers and busted them with a hammer, and of course safety glasses. i wouldnt be afraid of it going off unless it was confined, i'd just turn my head. the ones i busted were uhm, i think large rifle primers. probably not the smartest thing i've done, but i didnt see any real danger.
  12. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I've had several go off using Lee loaders & a couple were large rifle & very loud. I've decapped probably 50-60 live primers using a presss & wouldn't think there would be any problem if one did go off that way. I do use my safety glasses especialy priming with Lee Loaders.
  13. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I've never had a primer go off while removing an inverted one. I often reuse them too. But...

I will not tell someone else to do it. Do it at your own risk. It CAN BE dangerous so accept the risk yourself.

I would add that I have never had a primer go off in my press or in any tool I use in reloading under any circumstance. Any tool that sets off a primer is junk and should be discarded (the Lee loaders mentioned!). That's my opinon and yours may differ.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  14. res45

res45 Member

If putting one in backwards bothers you wait till you smash one in sideways,I've done that a few time the past 25+ years on some tight primer pockets still never had one go off. As stated above do at your own risk when it come to reloading safety issues your the best judge of whats acceptable in your case.
  15. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

Bitin' my tongue this time LD;) You just had to give him some fuel Popgunner!:)