Another new toy.....

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Jay, May 14, 2003.

1. Jay

Jay New Member

I just acquired another new H&R M12 (Palma sights). This makes my third one. Don't know what there is about these rifles, but they sure appeal to me. They don't shoot too bad, either.

:D :D :D
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Don't forget to feed them well, and often.
    Sound familiar? LOL
  3. Jay

Jay New Member

Oh yes....seems lilke a nest of young birds. As soon as I look in the safe, all their bolts fly open ...:D WELL, if my wife can talk to her plants..........nuff said. :rolleyes:
  4. z537z

z537z New Member

hey Jay

You gettin these through the CMP or what?

I've seen them around there but dang if they're not expensive! Why do you need 3 man? Share the wealth!

That's Z's guns, tuition and motorcycle fund, PO box...

_z

EDIT: Found a nice one online, but that's all I found.
    http://gunsandammoauctions.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=8890841

This leads me to believe that Jay has all of them.
    Last edited: May 15, 2003
  5. Jay

Jay New Member

I'm afraid Jay doesn't have all of them, but now I have the one I've been looking for. I found this last one on a forum, "for sale" about 15 minutes after the gent posted it. Sounded too good to be true..... still sealed, with Palma sights still sealed, for a very reasonable (to me) price. He didn't know there were two different types of sights, and after he asked, I told him the respective values of the sights, and that his price was VERY reasonable. His response is below.....

"Jay,

Thanks for your honesty. If you want it, it's yours, and the price is still $XXX.XX. Do you want me to open it up and make sure it's a Palma?"

SO I BOUGHT IT !!! :) :) :D (one grin for each M12, big grin for this last one)

Now I have on each of the original versions, and with the right motivation, I could be moved to sell one..........;)
  6. z537z

z537z New Member

wow, nice

Yeah after shooting a scoped gun I can't stand 3 dot sights, nor do I think I should have to. I'd really love some peep sights on a rifle someday, good for hunting closer range critters in the woods. I got my scope in for 50 yards, and it's not exactly a quick click elevation change.

Unfotunately
    1) A nice set of Redfields run up there at least 50$
    2) I'd have to custom smith something to put them on my gun.

Hey Jay will you take 75$ for a CM12? :D

Serously, though. Think of the balance as a donation to the fund....

_z
  7. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

8. Jay

Jay New Member

Hey Z.....which sight are you offering the $75 for.....front or rear?:D

SG...... My ISP is working on the mail server. I should be able to get the info on the way shortly.
  9. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Jay!

Whenever your ISP is fixed, let me know!...;)
  10. z537z

z537z New Member

The whole gun!!!

Haha...

You can use a rear peep sight with a regular front sight, right? Or not?

Hey I'd put up to 40 bucks towards a sight (rear if it works on my Romanian w/o a new front on) if you had it, but no biggy. Someday...*sigh*

Gotta get me a shorter range squirrel gun is all, scopes are great for longer distance varmints but impractical in dense woods where you find most of them (minus my backyard where there are tons, but I don't think the neighbors would appreciate the noise or any stray bullets in their siding). If only I was 21 (Late August), I'd get a pistol already. Ruger MKII in my local gunshop, target barrel for 365$. Dang!!!

Jay lemme know if you got any extra peeps sittin around that you don't want man! You're a fellow board member so I trust ya and would pay some extra cash for nice Redfields if you got em.

So how do the front sights work with these things? It'd be great if I could use just a rear.

Thanks for the help, nice collection of mossies and H&rs Jay!

I want them all.

_z
  11. Jay

Jay New Member

peep sights

Hey z,

I don't have any extra peep sights around. search for peep sight on e-bay and the auction sites.They pop up now and then.

With my eyes, I have to have either the peep sights or a scope.

You can use a peep with a reg front sight as long as the top of the front sight, and the middle of the elevation adjustment on the peep sight are parallel to the centerline of the bore. There's a fudge factor there, but I wouldn't want to be too far off.

Jay :)
  12. z537z

z537z New Member

cool

Thanks Jay.

And yeah I'll keep a look out, though I can dial my scope down to 3 power and hit the critters well enough most days.

And it's oh so satisfying shooting a nice group from 50 yards with a scoped rifle.

_z
  13. Jay

Jay New Member

Come to think of it, you might try a red dot scope. They're short, inexpensive, and target aquisition is much faster than a conventional scope.

I haven't used one.........hearsay only.. :)

"nice groups"..........put something sweet on the target and shoot flies !
  14. z537z

z537z New Member

15. Jay

Jay New Member

I don't know anything about the Romanian. Is the receiver grooved for a scope?

edit....about the Palma on e-bay......

fixed shipping :mad:
    reserve :mad:
    wear marks on the sight indicate it's not new :mad:

satisfaction guarantee? significantly absent.....:rolleyes:

any questions?
  16. z537z

z537z New Member

Yeah

It is, yes. It's an odd, thin one but I got some rings that clamp on there fine. I might tap it for a weaver rail later on.

Here's a decent pic collection showing the receiver pretty well.

http://gunsandammoauctions.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=8821536

Yeah otherwise I have no holes for attaching the two screws the normal ones use. Unless I Jimmyrig it with some arcwelding or something, but frankly I'd like to avoid that :)

_z

EDIT: Damn if it's not purdier that way though!!!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3608393427&category=7309

Jeez Jay you don't have a Romanian yet??!! It'll hold its own with those Mossies pretty well, but it's like 1/3 the price. Viva le my decision to pick one up :D. Trade one of those mossies in and grab one, spend the extra 150 bucks on yourself! :D

If any others have any info on how to attach one of these rigs to a rifle, shoot me some info, or email me it's in the profile.

Thanks
  17. z537z

z537z New Member

Lol

Yeah ok ok, just a thought, man! Jeez no wonder your collection looks so museum quality, your standards run higher than the women who keep turning me down. And that's some kinda high standard ;).

I just love these late-night gun talks, haha.

Thanks for your help Jay, and damn fine shootin back a few weeks ago w/ those peep sights. At least I think that was you.

Wait, I might have a shotgun (Nice old Savage Automatic 12ga.) coming to me. Close range critter accuracy problem solved! :D

_z
  18. Jay

Jay New Member

don't say arcweld . Not nice to do to a rifle. When you have your rings mounted on the receiver, look from the rear of the rifle at the contact surfaces where the bottom side of the receiver groove meets the upper side of the ring rail. Make sure those surfaces meet flush. I've heard some guys say that most European grooved receivers are 11mm as opposed to 3/8". Along that same line, some European grooves are cut at a 60 degree angle, where the US uses 45 degrees. If those surfaces don't meet properly, stability may suffer.

Jay
  19. z537z

z537z New Member

yeah

Why I'm considering a weaver.

I hear Romanian "grooves" vary in style, but mine for some reason is 90 degrees. I am not kidding. It's not back-cutat all. So I got some pretty boosey rings cranked on there real good. It's darn stable for now but I gotta watch it.

Of course I have some infinitely handy ridges on the top of my "groove" too, so I'd have to grind those down (there's another word you don't want to say!) to securely snug a rail on there. And by Rail I mean like 2 1" sections of rail, as I gotta get around the bolt, balance the scope on there over the adjustement knobs, and still clear the safety (I had to punch teh rear sight out...man getting that back in is going to stink a WHOLE lot).

Ah well, I got the attention to detail to do it. Just not the money.

I still don't know how those side-mount (or so they look) peep sights attach. Do you need the screwholes there? I'm not real hot into drilling and tapping a round reciever that's a fraction of an inch from my bolt...

_z
  20. Jay

Jay New Member

I'd suggest you not alter the grooves on top unless you absolutely need to.

Give this stuff a look and see what you think. Very solid and very simple and not all that expensive.

http://www.bkltech.com/products/products.html

On this one I'm gonna go dream about what I'm gonna shoot with the newest M12.

G'night