Another old 32 Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by RogerWilco99, Mar 27, 2009.

1. RogerWilco99

RogerWilco99 New Member

Hi folks! This is my first post on this forum. I'm not new to forums but I'm new to this one. So, howdy! :)

Now, on to my question.

My father has a Colt Pocket Positive that has .32 Colt marked on the barrel. I believe that this is .32 Short Colt (32SC). The only cartridge he has for it (he used to have a box of 50 but he's fired those over the last 55 years. The box of cartridges came with the gun when he got it out of hock back in 1952. But he's thrown away the now empty box.

I've compared the one remaining cartridge to pictures of .32 Short Colt bullets and they appear to be identical. I got a box of .32 S&W Short and they are not the same size as the one that fits this weapon.

I've looked around a good bit and can find no ammunition or even reloading dies for this gun. I did find that RCBS will make them as a special order. I can find brass and bullets but no complete cartridges.

Is making my own loads for this weapon going to be the only way to go or am I going to have to pay the ridiculous prices for "vintage" ammo for this revolver that is also probably pretty dangerous by now (ammo over 50 years old).

I'm told that making my own loads for this weapon is a better way to go or at least buy new ammo because the old powders were pretty corrosive. My father has never cleaned this revolver even though he has fired nearly the entire box of cartridges he got with it 57 years ago. On my next visit, I intend to completely disassemble, clean and inspect thsi weapon. I'm sure it needs it.

So, first, does anyone here know where I might be able to find complete cartridges for this weapon.

Second, does anyone here know the reloading data for this weapon? I found it once on loaddata.com but cannot find it, now.

I can get brass and bullets from MidwayUSA. (fat chance getting primers, though :mad:)

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Cheers,
    Bruce
  2. townmarshal

townmarshal New Member

Try --gadcustomcartridges.com.--They make loads for tons of obsolete catrridges.
    Phone=715-748-0919 and is in Wisconsin I believe. Couldn't find reload data for this but is probably very close to 32 S&W, not 32 S&W long, which I have successfully loaded. Anyway the above company might be willing to recommend a loading and does list as carrying a loading for what you need.
    Midway lists that they carry what you need as a seasonal item. Might call them for info.
    Good luck and sounds like fun.
  3. townmarshal

townmarshal New Member

BTW this would use standard Small Pistol primers.
  4. RogerWilco99

RogerWilco99 New Member

Thanks!

I found that place on the web for buying complete rounds. It says it uses a "heeled" round nose .312 80 gr bullet. I'm looking for bullet molds, now since I now know the bore size. The "heel" size is reported as .299.

I have purchased 250 brass casings for 32 Short Colt from MidwayUSA (listed as 32 Short Colt). I also found a page that gave one load for it at:
    http://www.gunfighter.com/cgi-bin/bbs/cowboy-a/cowboy-a.cgi?read=5589

The bore sizes are different and the Colt is a bit longer than the S&W.

RCBS says they will make a set of dies for it as a special order as they know the factory specs. Redding wants bullet specs or I could just send them a couple of the spent brass and possible a cylinder/chamber mold. Finding powder data may be the issue. I could write to Winchester for their load data I suppose.

If I can get a bullet mold I can cast my own and make my own reloads. I'll post any more info I find as I find it. MidwayUSA lists the 32SC ammo but has it listed as "seasonal". I'm going to buy some of that when I can as well.

Cheers!
    Bruce
  5. RogerWilco99

RogerWilco99 New Member

I have found a couple of sources for stuff regarding the 32SC (Short Colt) round.

Buffalo arms sells a reloading die set, new brass, boxed bullets ($32 for 50) and bullet moulds ($125 each OUCH!). The die set is expensive but not ridiculously so at $79. It says it's a 4D set but I don't know what that means. I _suppose_ it could mean a 4 die set. I'll find out when I get mine.

So, at least someone has gear for this round for sale, still.

If found some nice case 85 grn bullets on *********.com. They are very well cast with no flash or any other defects that I can see. The heel is well formed, too.