Another one of my dumb questions

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/18/02 10:46:32 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Another one of my dumb questions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I know you guys think my head is full of rocks, but I'd rather ask ya'll expert advise than blow my hand off, so here goes!
    I just got in a box of 500ea. 125 Gr Buddits in 9MM. I went to my manual and found a charge for the powers I'm gonna use Dupont SR4756. Now the book has a recipy for the 124 Gr buddit, which is 5.4 Gr to a max of 6.3 Gr. The book does not have a recipy for the 125 Gr buddit though. Can I safely use the same recipy for the 125 Gr buddit?
    Tread On Me, But, Leave My DONUT Alone! !

BlackGUN

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/18/02 10:59:03 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Another one of my dumb questions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BlackGun - there are no dumb questions when it comes to reloading. I truly believe it is better to be safe than sorry.

But could you start asking your questions in English? I'm having a devil of a time figuring this stuff out.

HondoJohn6508
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/18/02 1:20:46 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Another one of my dumb questions
    Yes---start at the bottom load and work up--IMHO.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/20/02 8:10:33 am)
    You might want to start 1 grain of powder under that max loading and gradually work it up...look for pressure signs on primers and brass, check velocity if you have a chronograph.

Then it might not be a problem at all and you just get a slight drop in velocity.

GG

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/20/02 8:27:45 pm)
    I don't think a .8% (8/10s of 1 %) difference in bullet weight is going to make you weapon blow up, especially if you are not loading powder charges above those listed in your manuals.

I've routinely used charge listings for (near-)identical bullet weights, when my manuals did not list the bullet I had in hand.

As far as Physics go, your powder won't care if you are pushing 125gr RN, or 125gr JHP.
    By the same token, I wouldn't think that the 1gr difference in bullet weight will matter.

Anyone know about physics / differences between firing Lead bullets, vs jacketed?

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/20/02 11:46:02 pm)
    Raya -

You're absolutely correct - the 9mm won't know the difference between the 124 gr and the 125 gr. - in fact, BG - bet if you weighed some out on your powder scale, you'd find the 125's and 124's would average about the same weight.

Lead, being much softer than jacket material, will launch and engrave (upset) in the rifling far easier than the harder jacketed stuff. Therefore, lead bullets will take less pressure to get them started down the barrel, as opposed to jacketed. The bad thing with lead is ...........leading! Too soft, or too much velocity, will strip the lead into the bore, which will cause succeeding pressure buildup and the bullets try to force their way down the obstructed bore. That's why comparable weight bullets will always have the lower loadings, velocity and pressures as compared to jacketed.