Another one

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by gdmoody, Mar 1, 2012.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I went over to my local gun shop on Tuesday, just to kill some time and I saw this used Taurus PT1911. I did not know that they made on in 9mm. Once I picked it up, I couldn't seem to get it out of my hand, so I had to bring it home with me.

I know a lot of people complain about Taurus pistols, but the PT1911 I had in .45 was the best shooing one that I had ever owned. It shot circles around my Kimber and it didn't rust every time you looked at it!

The only thing that bothers me about it. I have a set of custom grips that won't fit because of the ambidextrous safety on it. I don't want to be whittling on the the back of the grips.

Attached Files:

2. gunslinger69

gunslinger69 New Member

I've toyed with the idea of converting mine to a single sided safety. Let us know how the 9mm version shoots, I think mine is the best shooting semi handgun I own.
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

George, I own several colt 1911s and a smith and a couple others and one taurus and the taurus will hang with the colts all day long. Let the people complain all they want, taurus makes a good 1911. They shoot as good as I will ever need one to shoot.
  4. H-D

H-D Active Member

Love my 45 Taurus, the 9 has a ramped bbl too! If you want to put custom grips on the Taurus you need to change the grip screws and bushings too a single safety is easy to install I got a blue colt extended single safety from midway for 14.99
    congrats !
  5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I bought one of these new a few months ago and while it had a few issues - it's a fun gun to shoot. The rear sight on mine was pressed in crooked so I ended up cutting it out with a dremel. I was going to change sights anyway though. Also, mine had a 16 # recoil spring in it (which is the standard for .45) and I went down to a 12 # and it runs great. For mags I've used the factory Taurus, Mec-Gar, and Wilson and all have worked just fine.

Yes, I could have sent it back to Taurus for repairs - I was just wanting to shoot it during 2012...
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I am considering a taurus PT1911.
  7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

They are solid guns but tend to have small issues - most of which are easily fixed. In the past 2 months I have personally seen extractors fail on 2 PT 1911s in .45 and both had low round counts. Not an expensive part to replace but it really irritates some folks when a new gun breaks. You can use their lifetime warranty; however, the single time I did my gun was gone for 13 weeks. I generally do the repairs myself and consider it the cost of ownership...
  8. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks NGIB. I will consider info like that.
  9. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Send the grips to me and I will cut the ambi safety cut, no charge just postage.
    Carl Wallace
    9737 Pokai Way
    Diamondhead, MS 39525
    Phone anytime @ 228 255 0822
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Thank you Carl, I will mail them when I get to work this afternoon.