Another PPK

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by TheGunClinger, Jun 26, 2012.

1. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A friend asked me if I could come up with some info on his PPK. The usual stuff like how old, how much is it worth, etc. He wants to use it as his defense gun. Go figger. Sorry about the crappy pics. We are having miserable weather in SW Florida due to "Debbie". Appreciate any info you guys can give me.

Attached Files:

2. TheGunClinger

A few more.

Attached Files:

3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Early one. looks like a 60 degree safety, So I would think 1937. Commercial , No acceptance markings. The holster will add value. Some else can play with value.
  4. TheGunClinger

Thanks Ron. Do you think that the holster is original to the gun?
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Yes I do, and it looks as if was carried a lot. Even if it is a commercial gun it could have been carried by a military member. But I'm just a novice in these matters , perhaps some one with more knowledge will chime in ADDED: If you friend wants to use this pistol, no problem, but he should check with Numrich GPC and get replacement grips and magazine. I have seen where original grips and magazine extensions can bring up to 250 to 300 dollars. They are brittle and will crack easily, That is why there is a demand for the original
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  6. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Not much to tell about this one, just that it's a commercial (not issued by the military or the police). It may have been owned by a civilian or by a military officer, as many officers purchased their own pistols. Since it has the desireable finger extension magazine, it has a value of about $1000, give or take. As RJay says, shooting it as is could crack the grips and/or the mag extension, since this plastic is undoubtedly brittle because of age.
  7. TheGunClinger

Thanks for your help RJAY and Wonder. I will pass your info on and hope that he re-considers using it as a carry gun.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Made in 1933 or 1934, the holster suggests that it might have been purchased and carried by a member of one of the uniformed Nazi groups at the time, like the SA, though that cannot be proven and does not increase the value. (A holster used by a German military officer would probably have been black to match the issue holsters.)

It is not only the value that would cause me to question its use as a carry gun, but the relatively low power of the 7.65 Browning (.32 ACP) cartridge. Smaller guns with more power are available today.

Jim
  9. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

Jim K ....... +1

The 7.65 mm is not a caliber I would recommend to anyone for self defense .
  10. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:) And that folks. is why they make different flavor Ice Cream. I carry a .32 in deep concealment, use Winchester silver tips and I'm very comfortable with it, Remember, the little .25 and 32 have probably killed more folk on the mean streets of our cities than any other caliber. I believe in shot placement over firepower and it is small enough to be with me when I need it, not in the night stand because it is too much gun to run out for a gallon of milk. I could carry a 380 of the same size, but why, as stated I feel secure with the little ,32 in my pocket for fun.:D But Hey, what ever floats your boat.:D