another project 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (8/22/02 6:56:58 am)
    Reply Another project 1911
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just got a Charles Daly 1911 in a trade. The pistol had maybe 200 rounds ran thru it. Nice finish, no scratches, etc. Trigger was about 6 lbs and grouped about 6 in. all off to the right. Some of that is due to the hard trigger. Frame to slide fit is just a little loose. I'll leave that alone, no big deal. The barrel link is loose and the barrel bushing is loose but not sloppy. I'll take some time with this one and report the progress. I'll also use exsisting parts to see what can happen on a budget.

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/22/02 7:13:50 am)
    Re: Another project 1911
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sounds like a fun project. Give us a range report when you are done working on it shooter45.

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/22/02 8:36:35 am)
    Reply Re: Another project 1911
    Could you keep us updated as you go? I'd like to know what you're doing as well as the outcome.

Happy smithing

Smoky the curious

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/22/02 4:07:20 pm)
    Why don'tcha want to tighten the slide, Shooter?

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (8/22/02 7:39:18 pm)
    X, the loose slide won't make much difference if everything else ( link, bushing ,barrel and slide stop) locks up tight.

Tell you what I'll do. I'll post what I do and how I did it. Just using the stock parts . I may have to use an after market part or two but mostly stuff I have lying around. I still need an arched mainspring housing because I like them.

The first problem with the pistol is the mags. I'll use a Metalform mag because of the rounded top follower. One problem down.

The next problem was during the range test. Out of 5 rounds fired, 1 piece of brass was crushed. Both sides mashed. To fix that I adjusted the extractor by removing it from the slide. it was almost straight and needed more of a bend. A well adjusted extractor usually begains to tighten up as the larger portion is being pressed into the slide. In any case, it shouldn't be loose enough to fall back out. The best way to judge the tension on the extractor is by extracting a dummy round with it. As the round comes out of the chamber, the extractor should be loose enough to allow the cartridge to hang down slightly before it touches the ejector. Remove and bend the extractor to get this fit.

Hope this is plain enough for everyone.

Let me know if you want me to continue with this project here on the forum.

Thanks,
    shooter45_us@yahoo

Edited by: shooter45 us at: 8/22/02 10:32:18 pm

hotload
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/22/02 8:56:31 pm)
    Reply SHOOTERS PROJECT
    I got a hands on look at Shooters project before he started, and today after his first night of tinkering.
    BIG IMPROVEMENTS !!!!!
    That pistol is going from rags to riches. Locks up tight,trigger feels better, and it had the worst set of factory grips on it originaly that I had ever had in my hands. Now it sports a set of hogue grips that I think I remember being wrap arounds. If he keeps going it might rival my HALLOCK. Which by the way, I am going to have the frame hi-cut on my Hallock after shooter and myself were at the range last night, and I fired a Kimber Target Eclipse II. The feeling of that hi-cut frame is all my pistol is lacking. Sounds like a road-trip dont it shooter. I'll keep you informed on shooters project because sometimes opinions are better than facts HeHeHe
    GOOD LUCK AND GOOD SHOOTING !!!!

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/22/02 9:26:12 pm)
    Re: SHOOTERS PROJECT
    Keep talking shooter45 - the more you talk the more I'll learn about my Charles Daly.

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/23/02 8:54:07 am)
    Reply Re: SHOOTERS PROJECT
    Like T says, keep us posted all the way. I also like the arched main spring housing. Just comes to point of aim better for my hands.

Smoky: still curious

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (8/23/02 9:12:59 pm)
    I hated the black factory grips that came on the Charles Daly 1911. I had a set of Houge grips with finger grooves. Didn't like them either. So, I installed a set of Chip McCormick Double Diamond Rosewood grips. They look and feel great. These grips took a little fitting around the plunger tube and the Ambi thumb safety would hit the top of the grips in the down position. A little filing and the problem was corrected.

Since I'm doing simple things to the project gun, instead of checkering or stippling the front strap. I have cut a piece of non-skid tape and placed it on the front strap. The tape should cover the front strap all the way to the area inside the grips. Then install the grips. You now have a non- slip grip area that even sweaty hands can hang on to.

Next I'm going to do a little work on the trigger. Not a competition trigger job, just smoother and lighter.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (8/24/02 1:29:46 am)
    Re: SHOOTERS PROJECT
    Good deal Sam!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/24/02 4:35:48 am)
    Okay guys, for someone who has never heard of it before...What does it mean to Hi-cut the frame?

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (8/24/02 5:10:59 am)
    Donny, Colt , Springfield and most all other 1911's have a rounded area where the trigger guard meets the grip. When a frame is hi-cut, as on a Kimber, Wilson,etc. , the trigger guard comes straight back to the frame allowing a higher grip.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/24/02 8:25:11 am)
    Shooter45, I would like to know-how well the specs are on the Norinco. Ya-no....pin placement. Are they built to spec or are some of the holes off. Thanks LTS

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (8/24/02 4:53:57 pm)
    LTS, the Norinco 1911 is built to spec using Colt dies if my information is correct. All pins and holes match. Great pistols for custom work. The Norinco is one of the few pistols Wilson Combat will do custom work on.

hotload
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/24/02 7:18:54 pm)
    Reply GRIPS
    Hey Shooter, the hogue grips were a plus on youre project, but the Chip McCormicks you replaced them with made a big differance.Those were really nice looking grips. I think if you keep going you are going to have a real nice piece. And its starting to shoot too.Maybe when you get done it will shoot like that other group you gave me on that orange dot.
    GOOD LUCK AND GOOD SHOOTING !!!!!!!

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (8/24/02 10:45:16 pm)
    Reply Re: GRIPS
    Hotload, that's the best group I've ever shot @ 25 yds. I don't remember how small but just one ragged hole shot with your Springfield. I doubt I'll ever be able to repeat that one.

The Daly project is moving forward but it will never be a tackdriver. I'm hoping for sub 2" groups using mostly factory parts.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/25/02 6:00:09 am)
    Reply Re: GRIPS
    I'm sure it'll be a shooter, Shooter

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (8/27/02 6:01:51 am)
    Reply Prepping the Sear
    Inspect the sear closely for any burrs which could cause any hanging on the disconnector or receiver. Stone or file to remove these rough spots. Rub the bottom of the sear a few swinging strokes on a medium india stone. This will allow the ears of the disconnector to move smoothly on this area.

Polish the face [ engagement angle]of the sear. Flitz will work for this. We don't want to change the angle.

Next, the hammer.

to be continued

Edited by: shooter45 us at: 8/27/02 8:34:42 am

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (8/28/02 5:58:22 am)
    Reply Re: Prepping the Sear
    Check the hammer for burrs also check the left side of the hammer for rub marks. If you find any rub marks as I did on the Daly pistol, they are caused by the hammer rubbing the ejector. Remove a little metal from the ejector. A small file will work for this.

Next, check the hammer hooks to make sure both are the same length. If not, correct this with a small file then polish.

Check the hammer spring. Make sure the hooks are cut at 90 deg. Use a med. india stone to correct this. Then holding the spring as it would fit in the frame, bend the left leaf back about 1/4".

Remove the mainspring from the mainspring housing. On the Daly pistol I cut 2 coils off the spring. Do not remove over 3 coils.

I removed the trigger from the frame and polished the lower back portion of the trigger bow. Now re-assemble and check for function.

After this simple process, the Daly now has a lighter, crisper trigger. Not match quality, but a good carry trigger.

The Daly project is moving along. I did notice the barrel bushing has some looseness side to side. That shouldn't be there. I'll see if I have anything that fits and if not, I'll use an aftermarket bushing.

So far I've spent less than $25.00 on this project. If only I could have lived with those ugly grips.

More later.

hotload
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/28/02 9:54:11 am)
    Reply PROJECT
    Good going Shooter !!! That thing is feeling, and looking better everyday. By the way, when I measured that group, after subtracting the bullet size it measured .376. WOW ! thats 3/8 of an inch.

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (9/6/02 4:54:57 am)
    Reply Re: PROJECT
    Checked the trigger pull with an RCBS gauge. It broke clean at just over 3 lbs. I have some overtravel in the trigger that I don't like. I may end up replacing the trigger. Using one with an adjustable overtravel screw.

I removed the extended slide stop. To me these are useless. I had one that fitted a Wilson barrel link prefectly. So, I made the change. Locks up much tighter.

The barrel bushing will have to be replaced. It has some side play in it. I'll fit a N.M. bushing this weekend.

I had thought about changing the rear sight. I have a BoMar adj rear sight that I may install later.

I still need an arched mainspring housing to make the 1911 feel right to me. I may have one on the way.

More later.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/6/02 10:51:05 am)
    Atta' boy Shooter

boomatic
    (9/6/02 11:18:14 am)
    Hey Sam,
    When you're all finished (bored) with this one you can just send her on out to me...my birthday is comin' up, you know!!! Heck, I'd even give ya 'a couple 'a hundred for your trouble.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."
    Thomas Jefferson

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (9/6/02 5:58:47 pm)
    Zig, it's getting there.

Boomatic, my birthday is today and I didn't get a 1911. Wanted one though.

I have something special in mind for this pistol. Details later.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/24/02 9:51:33 pm)
    Okay shooter...the suspense is killing me...where are you on this. No updates in almost 2 weeks!

BTW, your special recipe ran great in my Springfield compact. Did another batch with 5.3 of W231 for comparison sake. Difference was there...but not too bad. I've got 500 more of them ready to go for this weekend!!!

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."
    Thomas Jefferson

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (9/25/02 12:09:17 am)
    Boomatic,

The Charles Daly project will be finished in 2 weeks. I don't have alot of time to work on it lately.

The groups are getting tighter but the barrel bushing still needs to be fitted.

I'm also trying to decide if I want to replace the rear sight. I keep reminding myself this is a budget gun. Min. aftermarket parts, stock barrel, etc.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/25/02 11:45:59 am)
    Shooter45,
    It's really hard not to do something like add better sights when you know it will help...budget or not I always end up seein' how well I can make 'em shoot...just so I can say I did it!

Thanks again for the load info...it was just what I was looking for.

Thomas Jefferson

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/26/02 8:53:14 am)
    WHAT WAS THE LOADING INFO?

The question loaded before I quit typing. Was it listed in the forum? I miss a lot of stuff, old age I guess.

Smoky the curious

Edited by: Smoky14 at: 9/26/02 9:56:16 am

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/26/02 11:07:29 am)
    Smoky14,

It wasn't on the forum. It was through private email. I didn't mean to make it sound like a big secret. I was just asking shooter45 for a low recoil/plinking load for my officer's size pistols.

Boom-atic

Thomas Jefferson

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/27/02 11:04:11 am)
    Boomer: I'd like to have a "quiet" load myself. Sometimes I just want to make holes and not subject my wrists to the recoil..arthur ya'know.
    Smoky

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/27/02 3:33:44 pm)
    Hey Smoky14,

Tried to email you through the link but she wouldn't go. See if you can email me through my link.

Boom-atic

Thomas Jefferson

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (9/27/02 6:24:10 pm)
    Smoky, send me an email.

shooter45_us@yahoo.com
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2003