another question

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by s+w1911, Jan 7, 2008.

1. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

As I posted in another thread, I bought a Kimber Ultra cdp2.

I brought it to the range and fired 300 rounds w/0 any issues. Good for a tight new gun. I expected a ftf or fte atleast once during that time.

Here is the question though. When inserting the Mag, if you feed the 1st round via dropping the slide lock it functions flawless.

If you rack the slide by hand, the first round can jam just short of the chamber. This never happens if you allow the slide lock pin to chamber the first round.

Is this a break in issue???

I will break in the rest of the way this weekend as I want to get to 5-6 hundres rounds for a fully broken in pistol.

Btw, it is not the mags.

I used 2 kimbers, 2 wilsons, and 1 chip mccormack (sp?)
    All react the same.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  2. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

make sure you are releasing the slide and not "riding" it forward
  3. Sooner44

Sooner44 New Member

As Angel said, make sure you "sling shot" the slide. Personally I would polish the chamber, as I do on all my 1911's.
  4. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

OK,

I went to the range last pm.

I put 200 rnds through it, and now it is officially broken in. The problem cleared up as of last pm.

It seemed to just be a tight new gun issue. This thing has been real reliable right from the start, so I think it is going to be my carry for a long time.

Do you guys stick with one carry gun, or do you switch to a new gun every so often.

I think I am going to stick with this gun for many many years, I am just wondering if you all feel that you need to get a new one from time to time in order to fully trust it. I would think old familiar is better, but am curious.

Also, is field stripping a gun to clean sufficient long term, or do you need to occasionally tear the entire thing down fully trust it???
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  5. Pat-inCO

Pat-inCO New Member

One Gun: I did for six years, until I decided to go for a different model.

New One: EVERYONE needs a new gun every so often :D but it's not a trust issue - to me.

Full Strip: I like to do a full strip down every few months to get all of the lint, dust, etc. cleaned out. It's not that the gun has deteriorated, but rather to know just how much dirt (you'd be amazed how much dust blows around) and lint there is (or isn't) in your gun.

If the gun is clean and properly oiled, the chance of failure is virtually non existant (except for the occasional brain cramp of the user). :rolleyes:
  6. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

Pat-inco,

When I said Full Strip, I was referring to a full take down of everything. Not just field stripping.

Did you mean field stripping?

I guess my question is, is field stripping enough??

I am not a gun smitty by any means. I might try to screw a bullet onto the hand grip to put it plainly, so I wonder if I need to take my carry gun to a guy who won't screw a bullet into a hand grip hole every so often for a "full dissasemble" (way beyond a field strip).

Opinions please.