Another Remington 742 problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by rhaney2, Nov 6, 2008.

1. rhaney2

rhaney2 New Member

I have a Rem-742 in 30:06,the problem is,it will chamber,fire but will not cock the trigger/hammer for the 2nd shot.
    I have cleaned everything on and in the gun.
    any help.
    I assume that the bolt is not being driven back far enough to cock the hammer.
  2. mdw442

mdw442 New Member

The 742 is a quirky weapon but will run extremely reliably if you treat it right. I strongly suggest you call AGI (http://www.americangunsmith.com) and order their gunsmith DVD on the 742. It is easy to follow and well done and will show you just about everything you'd ever need to know about taking care of this gun.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

rhaney2:

The 740 series of guns are OK guns but they are not in the same league for design, fit or finish as say the Browning BAR. They were designed in the time when stamped sheet metal parts were the big cost saver for the factories. Your gun shares parts with the pump version and the shotgun versions. Such parts are adequate when the gun is new but in general do not hold up all that well under use.

Your problem might be an ammo that does not generate an adequate level of performance. It could also be that the hole in the barrel that delivers gas to the gas operated operating system might be partially clogged. It could also be that one of the stamped parts is broken or bent. I would inspect the gas hole first. Clear it with the correct size numbered drill. Next I'd buy the AGI video course because it may be able to point out the problem areas of your gun. I have that video and it is very good as is most all of the AGI courses.

LDBennett