Another "retired" set of LEE dies

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by LDBennett, Jan 25, 2011.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

After a reloading session where a set of LEE dies again failed to give quality ammo (45ACP) I "retired" them and ordered some RCBS dies.

After the fiasco when I offered free Lee dies several months ago, I'll not make that mistake again. They went directly into the trash....Good riddance!

Sorry all you LEE lovers but LEE stuff just doesn't make MY (!!) cut. It may make yours, and that is OK but no more LEE stuff for me. I'll continue to cull out the LEE stuff as it fails to perform.

LDBennett
  2. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

Ahhh:(, thought you were going to shoot them with that 50 of yours.........:eek:
  3. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Now you are talking LD. I have yet to find bad products from RCBS. Knock on wood. LOL It's cold and damp here in Arkansas and a great day to stay inside and load for awhile.
  4. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

Really wanted some video of the .50 impacting! loves me so .50 just saying
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Let me know if you ever get an itch to buy Lee dies again LD, I'll send you mine for FREE:D
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

LD,

Just out of curiousity, what failed on these? I've been replacing mine with green and the other red ones too. I'm not trashing them or giving them away but do prefer the quality and heft of the others.
  7. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hmmm. I was going to post some smartass retort but decided it aint worth it. I will go with the Hmmmm thing.
  8. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    LET IT BE KNOWN BY ALL.....................I WILL GLADLY TAKE AND PAY FOR SHIPPING ANY OLD LEE DIES THAT ARENT LOVED. OLD SEMPERFI
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

A fine example of ESTOP syndrome IMO;)
  10. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

:D:D:D:D:D LMAO

just a quick btw - theres a rcbs piggyback set up for 45acp on flEaBay right now with a b-i-n price of $350, a great deal for someone and a nice pretty Green too !!!
  11. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

Just when you think all is back to normal he's got to start it all up again! Oh well.:confused:
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

my thots exactly dsv...
  13. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

No reason to be sorry LD. Even those of us that like Lee know they aren't for everybody.

That would have been cool. :D
  14. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

X2 on that i will get in line. But the boss is got to get some work for me so i can make some money.
  15. noylj

noylj Member

anyone giving away Lee dies? I'll be happy to take them off your hands.
    Any have a Lee "seat-and-feed" die in .45 or 9mm they don't want? How about a Lee FCD in .45?
    I'm still waiting for my first bad die from Lee, Hornady, or RCBS.
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

me too noylj, I dont have anything youre needing, I mean I do but I use them. The only thing I got is a spare set of .30 carbine dies...
  17. LDBennett

Got the RCBS replacement 45ACP dies and used them yesterday. Here is what I observed:

In a side by side comparison of the INTERNAL surfaces of the RCBS dies to the LEE dies, the LEE dies internal surface finish was much rougher than the RCBS. In fact, the internal surface of the LEE seater die appeared to have been not polished at all. Comparing the finished rounds from each (100 from the LEE dies and 200 from the RCBS dies), the RCBS burnishing of the external case walls was noticeably smoother. The LEE done case walls were almost satiny in appearance when compared side by side. But admittedly the difference was slight but visible.

Does this make any difference in the performance of the ammo? Probably not but it does point out that RCBS is not just profiting from the higher pricing but includes added processes not done by LEE in the manufacture of reloading die sets...... You get what you pay for, whether you need it or not (???).

We all get to choose. I choose better quality for long lasting durability but my reloading tools budget is not all that limited as some people's. Use the best you can afford is my advice. If that's LEE, so be it. But if it is LEE then you may end up buying it more than once (???).

LDBennett
  18. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

If I had a set of dies from another maker, I would compare them with my Lee dies as well to see if I can see a difference. My dies are no older than 10 years. So maybe your dies are older and the machining process they used then is different than today? Anyhow, just a thought.

I do believe my next set of dies will be Dillon. I noticed Dillon has a set of carbide dies in 357 Sig. I would like to get away from lubing those cases if I can.
  19. LDBennett

Below is a chart showing the resultant OAL of ammo made from LEE dies and RCBS dies. I measured the OAL on 20 samples form the LE die set and 20 samples twice from the RCBS die set. The results show that the RCBS dies are more consistent in making ammo (45ACP) in Over All Length than LEE dies.

Does it make a difference? Probably not. When taken in concert with the better burnishing of the brass from the resizing die that the RCBS sizing die gives, it just goes to show that premium dies make better looking ammo that is more consistent in OAL. RCBS dies cost more and you get more but for most uses it probably makes no difference. I prefer better tools and better products but that's just me. You can choose to do whatever turns you on.

LDBennett

Attached Files:

• IMG.jpg
      IMG.jpg
      File size:
      48.8 KB
      Views:
  20. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

a few hours in the tumbler will have ammo loaded with even the old 'hammer and punch' lee loaders lookin brand new...

;)