Another SAVAGE

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by dragman, Aug 23, 2011.

1. dragman

dragman New Member

I am on a savage rifle kick lately. I have to say I think they are the best rifle out of the box hands down. I have bench guns and varmint guns, and now I am adding a long range tactical gun to my collection. I just picked up a Long Range Persision Rifle in 260 Rem. How can you beat a 26" heavy fluted barrel, with a target action, with a target accutrigger 1.5lbs - 6oz set in a HS persision stock for $899? I am gonna start the breakin process with it tonight with a couple boxes of cheap ammo. Then I am gonna start loading my 140 grain Berger VLD's in the 100 rounds of Nosler brass I got for it. I am hoping it will be a 1200 yard tactical killer, and with the results I have had with my other savages I am sure it will be.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

ahem... Pics?

;)
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

...Ive been on a savage kick for a spell and their hard to beat, amoung the best IMO!
    Yeah, like Josh said...pics please?
  4. 4570fanatic

4570fanatic New Member

I believe i purchased the same rifle, except mine is chambered in 338. Lapua Magnum. Savage makes great rifles. Now, my only issue is finding a gun range that allows 338. Lapua.....
  5. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

Have any of you folks checked out the CZ's
  6. dragman

dragman New Member

while CZ does make a fine rifle for out of the box use there action is not nearly as good as the savage "target action" and with the 100% lug engaugement I feel the savage is better. Also savages barrels are hand made in house and if you take the time to take them off and hand lap them they will perform with any custom barrel. I do like some of the CZ's but for target i am not a fan
  7. dragman

dragman New Member

I will post up some pics. Gun Smith ran into a snag with the gun durring the break in and I will be 260 less for a few weeks.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I had a CZ550, great gun, but sure wasnt a savage.. I sold it.
  9. 218bee

218bee New Member

I have a CZ .17HMR. I love the rifle, but to get it to shoot to suite me I had to do a trigger job, float the barrel (it was crowding one side of the stock) and bed the action. NOW it shoots very well indeed. The CZ center fire rifles look very good, but I just couldn't resist buying a Savage model 12 BJTV 26" barrel in .223. I guess I just like the way Savage is doing things these days. I have a couple of Remingtons that I will keep forever. But I wouldn't care to buy any of the newer ones. And it seems like buying a Ruger rifle is almost a "crap-shoot". I have one that shoots great.....two others were sent back to Ruger where they were "fixed"....(they rebarreled one of them) but neither one ever shot worth a hoot. I sold both at a loss to someone that wanted the actions to build lite-weight sporters on. Without breaking the bank, it looks like Savage is "at least" one of the better games in town. (made in USA too)
    I didn't intend to anger anyone.......just an ole man's $.02 worth.

CONGRATS....Dragman on your .260 I am sure it won't dissapoint you.
    >>>>>>>>>> Don in SC <<<<<<<<<<<<
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

My problem with rugers current 77s in the triggers. did a break in on one the other day for a customer and I swear to god it had a 8 pound trigger.
  11. Shep

Shep New Member

Most Savage rifles will never win any beauty contests, but they are good solid guns and very accurate. Especially with the Accu-trigger. The accu-trigger is the best idea anyone has had in years. Gives a good trigger pull while still keeping the "Lawyerized trigger crowd" happy.

And not all Savages are ugly. The model 40 below is very nice looking. Has a hand made stock, but the original stock was ok.
    The little beast will cloverleaf 3 shot groups off a sand bag at 100 yards. You can`t ask much better accuacy from a little .22 Hornet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Excellent firearms, ENJOY:)
  13. dragman

dragman New Member

very nice
  14. dragman

dragman New Member

Update.
    after shooting and going through the normal break in I was a little dis satisfied with how fast the barrel would copper up. So I sent it back and had them rebarrel it and they did so with no problem or cost to me. I just got it back on monday and I am very pleased with how she is doing now. I am in the final stages of load development and I am pretty sure It is going to be IMR4831 for powder and a CCI 200 primer. I have played with 140 berger VLD's and 129 Hornaday SST's and both have shot WELL. I will finish up development today and get some pictures of the gun and groups up for all to see.
  15. dragman

dragman New Member

taking her to the range after work today to chrono and dial in the final load.

Attached Files:

16. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Very nice indeed.
  17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I likes
  18. Munch

Munch Member

Very nice indeed. I think you're gonna enjoy that for a long time. I know I would...
  19. 218bee

218bee New Member

Pretty "sharp", how about posting some pictures of the groups you shoot with it....? Don in SC
  20. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Please. Please' PLEASE. Learn to spell and properly size and optimize your images before you post one more time. It is absolutely aggravating to try to decipher the meaning of words that have meaning only to you, and it is entirely off-putting to have to scroll back and forth to read them. This is very simple stuff, and it is a very simple matter of forum courtesy.