1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Another sporterized Mauser

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by MSGT-R, Nov 4, 2012.

1. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

I have a sporterized Mauser with a 1939 foundry mark w/swastika markings.

What would it be worth if:
    1. I left it as is.
    2. I found a fore-stock to graft on.
    3. Found another stock.

This is going to take several posts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  2. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

More pictures:

My Dad had this for as long as I can remember. The last time he went hunting, it was never fired.. No deer, no joy. :rolleyes: Probably sometime in the early 60's. The operation is smooth and clean. Stored in a gun box in the attic.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  3. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Can't help you with the value question, but I think the stock's been sanded to the point that a fore-stock graft wouldn't be worthwhile. If it were mine I'd replace the stock, and I'm sure there are members who can direct you to a source. The 42 receiver code indicates Mauser manufacture as best I recall. I've never seen markings such as that 3Ru261. Haven't a clue what they stand for or how they might affect value.
  4. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Good thing that none of the metal appears to have been altered. Mauser purists are likely gathering with torches and pitchforks to visit my farm, but I agree with nmckenzie - I'd get another full military stock and put it back together. I'd do some research and find the correct pattern (laminate, etc) stock and bands.

Value? As-is I'd say about $150 - $175; With grafted on fore arm - same - not going to add any value; With repacement stock and bands I'd figure about $250 to $350 at a gun show, maybe slightly more if you find the right buyer. Mauser collectors want rifles with un-touched original stocks, markings and all original matching numbers on ALL parts.

Your stock is way too far gone (cut/sanded/drilled for swivels,etc) to restore. I'm sure your dad was happy with the rifle - enjoy it!
  5. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Thank you. I hadn't a clue as to which way to go. I'll look for a stock, but put it back in the attic in the meantime. I don't shoot it, too much shock to my bad shoulder. A 30-06 hurt bad enough!