Another, "what would YOU do" thread

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by hkruss, Oct 19, 2009.

1. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Curious as to your responses.

Here is the scenario.
    Let's say you are in your car at a red light. You are boxed in on all sides so you can't drive off. You have your window down, when you are physically attacked, be it by some road rager, or just a random thug. Some guy is punching you through your open window. He is NOT using anything but his fists. You are unable to call 911 because of the assault. You are unable to get the window up. You are unable to get the seat belt off to move away from him. You ARE armed with a pistol and you DO have access to it. The question is, would you shoot him?
    The thing I keep thinking about is will a jury think you over-reacted because "the guy had no weapon, just his fists".
    Personally, I would shoot, for several reasons. One, I consider his fists as weapons, and even though not many people are killed by punches, it does happen, (besides, I'm not about to sit there and take a beat down!). Second, I am totally defensive. He attacked me. Third, I live in a state which has the 'castle doctrine' which says I can use deadly force if attacked in my domicile, and by extention, that includes my car. Thing is, many of you do not have this doctrine in your states, so there would DEFINITELY be legal trouble for you! With that said, what would you do?
  2. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

Id shoot him. Nothing stopping him from pulling an unseen knife or other weapon to finish you off with. No doubt since you are surrounded by other vehicles with people in them you would have witnesses that could verify you were attacked and were acting in self defense.
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I would shoot too. If your glocknut, he could simply let one rip and put the poor attacker into a coma.

That is why he needs mushrooms every day. It's like reloading
  4. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

How long was the light red,is it changing,I'd grab his hair and drive him down the road at high speed .Or get the wife to shoot him.
  5. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

6. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

This actually happened to my father when I was just a small boy. A guy thought my father had cut him off or something and at the next red light, he pulled up next to us, jumped out of his car and reached in our window and grabbed my dad by the neck and collar and started shaking him. This was in the days before power windows, doorlocks and air-cond and our Buick Super sat high enough that the guy's arms were stretched uncomfortably between the window's edge and the upper door frame. My father, without missing a beat, cranked the window up and held the window crank as tight as he could putting maximum pressure on the guys arms. When the light changed, my dad put the shift lever in gear and started to roll forward. At this time, the guys wife ran out of her car and crying and pleading, begged my father to let him go. I swear the guy filled his pants because from the look on my father's face, I thought he would surely drive off, dragging the guy until his legs wore down to his knees. Dad stopped and let the window down. The guy meekly thanked him, apologized and got back in his car. As we drove away, I could see the guys wife slapping the snot out of him. My father never said a word about it and my mother sat quiet mumbling something about his temper. My dad wasn't very big, but you didn't want to piss him off.
  7. jim summers

jim summers Active Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    I am not going to let someone just pound on me especially when i have at my disposal that will get him off me. I'll take my chances with a jury i ain't never let someone pound on me and i ain't going to start this late in life.
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i would probably shoot him. in kentucky, you only need to be in fear of your life or grave bodily harm. and with my wife in the car, i'd be afraid for her life and, yep... i'd warm my cold hands on the hot barrel as the cops arrived
  9. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Drag him into the car and pulverize him.
  10. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Shooting cannot be the first course of action. I'll take a punch or two to save someone's life, even if it's the life of the guy punching me.

I think I would try to warn him (without drawing the weapon), but if he were to continue the attack, draw and fire would likely be a one-step process. Once a gun is actually involved in the situation, I don't want any chance of him getting ahold of it.
  11. Deathbunny

Deathbunny Former Guest

Huh. Tough call. Probably draw, then a gentle application of the front sight/barrel (AKA "pistol whipping"). A steel slide assembly across the bridge of the nose is a real attention-getter. If that doesn't work, "bang".
  12. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    It's a bit difficult to punch someone
    consistently and effectively thru a window.
    It'd be a good way ta get yer arm broke
    at the elbow. But depends on the situation.
  13. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I would get a hold of something, his sleeve, finger, anything to were I could get my way to his wrist and hold tight. You have the advantage, your sitting down with a low dead weight center of gravity. With the free hand open the door and shove the door with my shoulder while pulling him in. In a panic they'll try to get away and end up eating the top of the door frame. Done it before and I'll do it again. Guy lost 2 teeth and his buddies respect. Had no idea who he was or why he was so pissed. This was before my CCW.
  14. Jay

Jay New Member

IC 35-41-3-2 (Indiana Code)
    Use of force to protect person or property

Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:

(1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;

if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

(b) A person:

(1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;

if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.

I will shoot him after the first blow.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  15. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

If I was attacked as described, I would break his nose with a punch if possible, if he came back for more, he would recieve a fatal dose of lead poisoning. Plenty of witnesses.

The punch might work in your favor showing deadly force was used after other methods of defense did not work. Might be worth having a can of pepper spray in the car for something like this.